• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Arghh! Help me please! (bleeding claw)

Morrigan1981

Mama Doe
I've just trimmed the rabbits claws and managed to catch one of Jen's back claws a little more than I intended

It's not very short at all but it seemed to bleed a lot for the wound. I put some cornflour on it (in the vague hope of stemming the bleeding with something that it wouldn't hurt her to lick??) and it slowed a lot. She seems fine: she's back in her hutch and eating hay happily, she hasn't bothered her foot at all. She's moving normally.

Is it excessive to ring an emergency vet and is she likely to be OK now, or should I take her to the surgery to be checked over?

I actually feel sick :(

so long as it doesn't get infected from soil or a dirty hutch, it should be fine as it is. One of Tia's claws completely came off once (they were weak due to her history) - bled like mad but she was fine - however she was indoors so no germs from soil around.

Thanks Elve, I'll keep a close eye on it. I'm trying not to keep pestering her at the moment but I can't help myself from checking that she's OK :? The hutch is clean.

I've nipped claws before but they've never bled like that, it doesn't look particularly short even but I must have just caught it all wrong. Urgh, I suspect I'm more tramatised than Jen is at the moment!

yes she'll probably not even notice it now - I occasionally do this with some of the piggies as they are so tiny and their claws curl sometimes - they squeak when I cut it wrong but have forgotten it in about 5 seconds, unlike me who's shaking like a leaf :roll: :lol:

She will probably give it a wash and forget all about it but give you the cold shoulder for a while :rolleyes:

As long as its clean and the bleeding has stopped dont worry.

Well, I've just been down to check again and Jen seems OK. I'll actually lift her own in an hour or so and check that the bleeding hasn't started up again, but for now I don't want to stress her out too much :( I feel awful :(

I did the piggies first tonight because I thought they would be the troublesome ones! :rolleyes: I hate curly claws.. one of girls seems to have some sort of tendency to curled claws, even when they aren't particularly long :?

Sorry... another question :oops:

How will I know if her claw does get infected: it doesn't look short enough for the infection to be in the skin, so will the actual nail start to get weepy and sticky?

I've just checked her properly and it looks much, much better: you can barely tell it had been bleeding now: thank goodness for corn flour! :rolleyes:

can't answer your last question im afraid but i just wanted to say that sorrel was climbing on me once and got her claw caught in my jumper and ripped it right out, she was fine though :)

Just an update on this: I've been checking Jen's claw morning and night and it seems fine now, it's hard to tell where it was to be honest! :oops: (I'm sure I looked at the wrong foot yesterday morning :oops: ). Amazing how they bleed so much for such a little wound :shock:

I clipped Teddy and Zinzan's claws last night. Ted is such a wriggler and I was so worried I was going to cut too short. I had the styptic powder on standby!

Back