• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

help needed/advice

helli

Young Bun
I have a male rabbit who is approx 10-11 months old, I got him from a rescue centre about 10 weeks ago, he had the snip 6 weeks ago with jabs before hand. Everything has been fine, however when I got in to night he seems to be in some discomfort. He was fine this morning running around in his cage, but as I said he seems not to be his self and seems to have have gone off his back legs: in that he can't get up with out the help off the side off the cage and when I when i got him out to night to let him have a run around all he did was sit in his litter tray.

Any help would be great until I can get him to the vets in the morning........

id prob say just keep an eye on his eating and drinking, making sure his poos are ok, and gettin him to a vet ASAP. my rabbit does this and he wudnt walk about at all,and turned out he had a bad tummy bug and needed a jab and antibiotic stuff for his wateer ! :D

If it was me, I would to get him to the vets tonight. Without wishing to scare you, rabbits can go downhill very quickly and any rabbit that is having difficulty moving, needs a vet ASAP.

In the meantime, keep him warm. Is he eating/drinking/pooping/weeing OK? If any of these is affected, that's another reason to get him to the vets a quickly as you can.

Is it his back legs being weak? This can be a symptom of e-cuniculi and the treatment is about 6 weeks of panacur wormer - some vets won't know this as some vets don't know much about rabbits, so just check if yours doesn't mention this.

If your vets does not have a 24 hour service there should be one locally.

Phone around using the local telephone guide.

If you think he's not right then he's not - rear leg weakness can be a number of things but it is important to take him asap

Maureen

Although hindleg weakness can be a symptom of an encephalitozoon cuniculi infection it caould also mean he has had a stroke or a possible back injury.

A potential back/spine injury needs addressing immediately incase he causes himself anymore damage.

Please call your out of hours vets for further advice.

Thanks for the help!

I have phoned the 'out of hours' vets and unfortunately, they were unable to help or either fit him in. Will have to phone my vets first thing in the morning and hopefully take him down.

Murray is a house rabbit so is snuggled up in the warmth and has had a small amount of veg which is something I suppose. He has been for a quick stretch around the cage but there is definately something not right with his rear end. There was plenty of pellets and wee signs in his toilet corner from today so who knows. Everything was perfectly fine this morning, eager to get out the cage to play with Helli (my little girl which we have had for exactly a year now). She is sat by his cage and can't understand why he is not saying 'hello'.

It's weird how things can change through the day, he is certainly not himself!

A concerned parent!
:cry:

Last edited:
Have you used this vets before? Some vets know next to nothing about rabbits so it's good to 'shop around' before you need one. Hope he's going to be OK :(

I would ring all the vets in your phone book and get him seen, one of them will be able to see yoou im sure. Like others have said, rabbits go downhill very quickly and it could be a number of things and if he has caused himself an injury he could be in a lot of pain or if it is a stroke he could be alot worse by the morning. Leaving it til the morning could potentially be too late. :?

Update

Hi,

Just to keep you all informed, Murray had improved alot by the time I went to bed last night. He was up, moving around the cage and eating so who knows why he was like he was. I have had him out tonight for some exercise and he is happy as larry. All I can do is to keep an eye on him over the next few days to see if this re-occurs i the future. I might still take him to the vets at the weekend for a check up.

Many thanks for all your help and advise. It's great to have wonderful people to talk to and full of so much knowledge. Keep up the good work!

Thanks Lorraine
:wave:

Back