• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Why does everyone think that bunnies are fragile creatures? U/D I was wrong!!!

LionheadLuver

Warren Veteran
As on my other thread about spaying, I think they should be outside. They are not fragile creatures, they are used to winds and rain, and they are supposed to be wild animals. Everyone seems to be taking rabbits as far away as possible from their wild cousins, keeping them indoors when it's a little cold or it's a bit windy. They are hardy creatures and they are not fragile animals.

Pet rabbits aren't wild rabbits though - it's like leaving a dog out wandering loose because wolves used to. A pet rabbit isn't meant to be a wild animal at all, we've domesticated them for years so they're not the same anymore.
Also, wild rabbits would have deep burrows to live in which means they're not exposed to harsh weather constantly. A hutch will be exposed to all sorts of weather. Even having an insulated shed, the difference in temperature, noise, etc from stepping in from the rain/wind is huge.
And one last point is that wild rabbits breed prolifically, so it doesn't matter to their species if they're not particularly hardy or longlived, they get sexually mature and have enough babies that the population thrives even if lots of them don't live very long

If you're posting this because of your other thread then I don't think you can compare bringing them in when it's a little bit cold or windy to keeping them in after major surgery!

They are used to wind and rain only if they have been used to it.Outdoor rabbits have no problems with cold and wet as long as they have somewhere dry to shelter. However, their bones and disgestive systems are extremely delicate and that alone surely justifies the "fragile" tag.

i think all creatures are fragile when theyve just had major surgery... a GA and removal of a womb isnt like a normal night under the stars is it?

and im pretty sure at the bottom of the food chain wild rabbits arent as hardy as you may beleive they are....

As on my other thread about spaying, I think they should be outside. They are not fragile creatures, they are used to winds and rain, and they are supposed to be wild animals. Everyone seems to be taking rabbits as far away as possible from their wild cousins, keeping them indoors when it's a little cold or it's a bit windy. They are hardy creatures and they are not fragile animals.

Most if not all wild bunnies are never put through major operations and general anaesthetics though are they???

I've just seen your post about having them spayed today and that you won't be keeping them inside tonight. I reccomend you do- a general anasthetic causes the body temperature to drop- this is why they must be kept inside overnight after being neutered.

Your vet has his opinion, but it goes against what all/most other vets say.

It's a major operation, you'd expect some special treatment if you'd been through that wouldn't you?

I too would advise keeping in for the first night, and if thats really not possible then a very snug, draft proof hutch with a snugglesafe or two.

I too, believe bunnies are extremly delicate, theres not many other animals that can die suddenly, without any warning, even the most caring vigilant owner can lose a bun with very little notice. Their insides are extremely complex and fragile and can be sent 'off' without ever knowing the cause.

Rabbits out in the wild are considered hardy because there are so many of them, and the fact that they mulitply well, but they dont live very long at all, I think they'd be lucky if they reached 2 years.

Pet rabbits aren't wild rabbits though - it's like leaving a dog out wandering loose because wolves used to. A pet rabbit isn't meant to be a wild animal at all, we've domesticated them for years so they're not the same anymore.
Also, wild rabbits would have deep burrows to live in which means they're not exposed to harsh weather constantly. A hutch will be exposed to all sorts of weather. Even having an insulated shed, the difference in temperature, noise, etc from stepping in from the rain/wind is huge.
And one last point is that wild rabbits breed prolifically, so it doesn't matter to their species if they're not particularly hardy or longlived, they get sexually mature and have enough babies that the population thrives even if lots of them don't live very long

If you're posting this because of your other thread then I don't think you can compare bringing them in when it's a little bit cold or windy to keeping them in after major surgery!

:thumb: :thumb:

When will people realise pet rabbits are not wild rabbits!!

We have domesticated them beyond their ability to survive like a wild rabbit would, do you think they could survive if you let them go into the wild?

Wild rabbits do not undergo major surgery with a GA which lowers body temperature and the ability to self regulate...

Have to say I'm inclined to agree with you Lionhead Lover. My doe was spayed and went straight back outisde - granted she went to a hutch in the shed as opposed to her hutch outside the shed but that was because the vet advised it was best to confine her to a smaller hutch for a few days - not for the warmth - and the shed had no glass it is windows (they were netted) so probably wasn't any warmer!.

Rabbits are hardy creatures and I'm sure in a sheltered hutch with each other to snuggle with they'll be absolutely fine. After all my rabbits give birth all year round and nothing is more delicate than a newborn baby and they manage fine outside.

Just because they can survive it doesn't make it right. I'm sure we all know of plenty of rabbits living off cheap rabbit mix in a 3' hutch with no time out - they may manage to survive it but it doesn't make it right.
I know that's a more extreme example but why take the risk for the sake of convenience for one night?

I've just seen your post about having them spayed today and that you won't be keeping them inside tonight. I reccomend you do- a general anasthetic causes the body temperature to drop- this is why they must be kept inside overnight after being neutered.

Your vet has his opinion, but it goes against what all/most other vets say.

It's a major operation, you'd expect some special treatment if you'd been through that wouldn't you?

any animal undergoing surgery also loses a large amount of body heat (if you think about it the skin and fur are insulation when you expose the internal organs ie..as in an operation all the heat goes out the window so to speak)
in addition to the effect of the anasthetic so if an animal is using its bodys reserves to try to maintain body temprature its not using them for healing.

all 3 vetinary practices i have used have all always recomended keeping any animal warm (preferably inside) after surgery, id be very wary of using a vet who recomended otherwise.

If I were a rabbit and my pets stuck me outside after a big operation I wouldnt be best pleased! I would want a hug,warmth and love. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thank you WalnutEarth626. At least someone agrees with me. It is very sheltered and we are using extra blankets over the hutch to insulate it and they'll have a snugglesafe and loads of bedding. What happens if it is impossible for someone to have buns inside overnight? Can their buns have no operations, for fear of being too cold?

Thank you WalnutEarth626. At least someone agrees with me. It is very sheltered and we are using extra blankets over the hutch to insulate it and they'll have a snugglesafe and loads of bedding. What happens if it is impossible for someone to have buns inside overnight? Can their buns have no operations, for fear of being too cold?

My rabbits would be inside no matter what! To me there isnt a good enough reason why they should be outside. Thats my opinion. I hope they are doing well x x

So even though the opinion is in the minority its Ok because its what you wanted to hear? Despite it going against all the advice of many experienced forummers and veterinarians (both my practices say minimum 24 hours inside).

The human race is so very selfish. :evil:

no, it's because WalnutEarth626 said it went fine with her rabbit. If one rabbit copes outside, then so can everyone elses rabbit (if that rabbit is used to it!!). Has anyone ever actually tried a rabbit outdoors after an op to see how it goes? They probably cope a lot more than most people think.

no, it's because WalnutEarth626 said it went fine with her rabbit. If one rabbit copes outside, then so can everyone elses rabbit (if that rabbit is used to it!!). Has anyone ever actually tried a rabbit outdoors after an op to see how it goes? They probably cope a lot more than most people think.

I wouldn't take the risk with a life to prove a point if it went against the majority of the advice I was given which was backed up with medical evidence.

Last edited:
Back