• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How are they doing? Bonding advice please!

Just put Obi and Roxy together in out hallway, they've been together about half and hour now. So far we've had a little nosing as in touching noses. Obi is very interested he seemed to be the one taking they most interest. Roxy seems to be more shy.

Obi has tried mounting Roxy but she ran away quick!! They've got their litter trays in with them and they've already used each others!!

Obi is neutered and Roxy was spayed three weeks ago. Tell how do you think they're doing?

Obi who seemed to be the most dominant, is very relaxed with it all. His sprawled out at the mo with his head held high. He looks quite please with it all!!

Roxy although being a little shy doesn't appear to be stressed either.

I am more worried cos Obi hasn't got any front teeth so if she went for him then he couldn't defend himself.

I'll keep posting the progress!! if any!!

As yet theres no aggressive behaviour so i'm keeping everything crossed!!

Sounds really good so far :D As long as when he chases her she doesnt turn back on him then thats a good sign. They sound like they are mostly ignoring each other so thats good too... hope things continue to go well, good bunnies! :D

How long will this ignoring process last?

As it's going well i dont want to separate them. When will they snuggle next to eachother or is every bonding process different? I am happy to leave them in the room to go and fetch or do whatever cos neither of them have ever been aggressive in the past.

When it comes to the evening and i can't watch them what would you recommend?

Or is it possible that they'll be friends by then??????
(I may be thinhking a bit too positively, but is this possible?????)

Charlie and Molly were very much the same as you describe with your two. They mostly ignored each other and the only interaction was for about 30 mins in the initial introduction where he tried to mount her but she ran and hid after a few attempts.
They got on well from word go but never really seemed 'in love' for a good few months. They would follow each other around but didnt really groom or snuggle and dont really now (after a year!) they do flop together in the evenings and a bit of mutual grooming, very few and far between.
Think all bondings are different and by the sounds your two will have the gradual bond building as my two. Whichever type of bond they have if they arent fighting then its a very very positive start :D

Are they now in they place that they will be staying forever?

I had Charlie and Molly in the bathroom for the intial bonding and stayed there for abotu 4 hours. Then moved them to the kitchen (another trial on neutral ground to make sure they were gettign on) for about a further 2 hours, then moved them to the front room where their intended bed was (his bed aready adn his turf) and sat with them until bedtime.
I then took the cage up to my room that night so I coudl hear them and be on hand for any squabbles, the next night I just popped back down a few times in the night to check on them. Very tiring!! But they were good as gold :D Think they were more disturbed by me than the otehr way round! :lol:

Are they going to be house buns or are you leaving them outside for their first night? If outside and they havent been there togetrh yet then I suggest doign that as early as poss so you can spend as much tiem as you can to see that they are gettign on out there too.

However you decide to manage the rest of the evening if they arent fighting then dont separate them or else you will have to start all over again.

really pleased its going well for you :D

Last edited:
They are in the hall at the mo, it's quite a large space for them, there is a xmas tree there too. I might consider moving them into the dining room soon although i've got to try and work out a way of protecting the computer!!!!

This space is Obi's space but as he hasn't got front teeth i've never worried about the cables before!!!

All is well with them, no aggression and appear to be okay still!!

Thank you for you advice emjay, it's nice to have some support!!!!!

Gem

when i was bonding my boys i put them in the bath and they lasted half an hour with no spats etc so then i took them outside and put them in the run together and still nothing! I kept them apart for the first night but next to eachother so they could see eachother and talk lol and the next day they went straight together still no problems and have been together day and night ever since!! I was really really lucky being as they are both un neutered boys! they will however be neutered next month!

Obi is getting quite persistant in trying to mount Roxy. She nearly let him once!!

But she keeps running away. They're in the kitchen now and i've bunny proofed the dining room.

Roxy seemed to be quite quiet, to be honest before i started i thought that Roxy would be the most dominant but it seems that Obi wears the trousers. Roxy lowers her head as though to let him groom her. He hasn't got the hint though!! Typical man eh!!!!!:D :D

Sounds like a battle for dominancy! Both mounting and lowering heads for grooming are dominant acts. Bailey mounted Luuna for about 3 days straight poor thing. I know that touching should be kept to a minimum during bonding, but eventually I had to hold him for a few minutes at a time so the poor girl could have a drink! Mine ignored each other for a day or so before they started scrapping, might be best if you can have them near you tonight to keep an eye on them. They're most likely to fight in the very early hours of the morning, as this is when they will be the most awake/active. Sounds like its going well for them so far! Lots of luck, hope it keeps going well :D

seeing as there is no aggressive bahaviour i'm tempted to keep them together. I suppose i'll see how the evening pans out first and then decide on whether to split them later!! Mind you i know when i've got this far, the last thing i want to do is split them!!!

Here's hoping things are okay!!!

No dont split them you will undo what you have done,if you can keep them 2gether till there sat next too each other ar grooming,its a pain but will be worth it:lol:

I didn't need to split them up and it's paid off. I must admit i was worrying about waking up to them fighting or finding nasty bites on Obi but everything is okay. They're still trying to find out who's the boss so we'll have to watch them closely!!!!

Litter training has been a bit of an issue. Obi is very good but Roxy was only spade just over three weeks ago so her hormones might be contributing to that.:shock:

Hope this struugle for dominance doesn't go on too long. T:shock: :shock: heir jumping on eachother now!!!

Back