• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

bunny troubles

tigerbabe

Mama Doe
Why is nothing ever easy!?

Following on from my thread yesterday about my bonded pair not getting along, my idea of trying to bond my 2 with my foster 2 doesn't sound like it will work.

Jack & Poppy have never been the most loved up rabbits but they used to have their moments. But I haven't seen them together for months, Poppy runs away as soon as she's anywhere near Jack and all he ever does is chase her.

My parents don't want to let me have anymore rabbits.
But I spoke to the lady I'm fostering the girls for and she agrees that something needs to be done because it's not fair on Poppy.

I have a few options.
1) rehome Jack or Poppy and pair up the other with another bunny... I can't even bear the thought of that
2) split up J&P and bond Poppy with a soppy boy that'll adore her, and try to bond Jack with the foster girls... but them being nervous and quite closely bonded it might not work
3) split up J&P and bond them each with a new bunny... but I honestly don't think my parents will go for that at all. Although maybe I could persuade them if they beleive the foster girls aren't here forever.
4) I don't know what option 4 is.... any ideas

Sorry not to have read your other thread but are your two both spayed/neutered?

It's a difficult one, I had a similar probelm with two rescue guinea pigs (male, brothers). In the end, my dad built them an indoor enclosure that meant that they could see eachother through the mesh but not get to eachother. I think it maybe a bit more difficult with rabbits though.

The only thing I can think of is seeing if you can re-bond them on neutral territory after taking them for a ride in a car.

I wouldn't split up the foster girls, that doesn't sound fair on them, especially if they are very close :( Plus, your parents might demand that the fosters don't stay forever, then you would have to rehome one of your two :(

How near to Jack and Poppy's accomodation are the Fosters housed?

Things may improve betweeb J+P if they cannot see or smell any other Rabbits

Janex

How near to Jack and Poppy's accomodation are the Fosters housed?

Things may improve betweeb J+P if they cannot see or smell any other Rabbits

Janex

They're in seperate sheds with a hutch run combo that's not being used between them. Actually here's a picture... The foster girls are in the wooden shed and Jack and Poppy are in the brick shed.
P1060137RESIZED.jpg

Bailey - I wasn't suggesting spliting the foster girls up :)
I had hoped maybe they could both be bonded with Jack & Poppy and all live together but I've spoken to Christine (the lady I'm fostering for) and she didn't think it was likely to work for various reasons.

I have the empty hutch and run so technically if I need to split Jack and Poppy and bond them with new partners I have somewhere for one pair to live while the other pair would stay in the shed. I think my parents would probably let me do that, although they're not keen.

I'd also have the option of splitting the shed in two so the 2 pairs can't see each other but I suppose there's the risk of them smelling each other and that causing problems :?

Whoever said rabbits were an easy animal to care for really didn't have a clue :roll: :lol:

Bailey - I wasn't suggesting spliting the foster girls up :)
I had hoped maybe they could both be bonded with Jack & Poppy and all live together but I've spoken to Christine (the lady I'm fostering for) and she didn't think it was likely to work for various reasons.

Oh oops, sorry :oops: I got mixed up :roll: :lol: I'm not sure what other options there are really :? Bunnies can be so difficult can't they?!

Back