• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Want to run through a few things for TODAY!!

LionheadLuver

Warren Veteran
Hi
I'm getting my girls spayed tomorrow and I want to run through everything and check that nothing's missing and that I'm doing everything right.

- They will stay in Monday night, but will go out on Tuesday morning with a Snugglesafe heatpad.
- Use heaps of meadow hay as bedding and a vetbed.
- Take a packed lunch of SS pellets and dandelions for the vet.
- Keep feeding them when they are home.
- Allow them into their run after 4-5 days ?
- They'll be in their hutch from the spay onwards. Is that a small enough space to not cause them any damage?

I have tried to do somethings, like keeping them in for two days, but our house is small and we don't have a cage etc. So, I hope this is all ok because this is all I can offer them.

OK for what it's worth I will give you some more advice which I hope you will take - don't get them spayed in midwinter when they can't stay in the house. They will most likely need lots of nursing care for at least 3 days, and need to be indoors - preferably take time off work to nurse them. If you don't have a cage then get a dog crate before spaying them - they will need it. On the day they are spayed they will probably be too groggy from anaesthetic to eat anything until about 2am - and you are saying they will go outside, in zero degrees temperatures just a few hours later - this isn't good.

I was advised not to use hay as bedding as it sticks to the wound, and I used towels. I had Pippa spayed on a Tuesday and it was really Friday before she was 'ok' and I would have been happy to put her outside again (at the time she was an indoors bun), so expect a few days of nursing care. I was shocked at how 'poorly' she was, so expect them to look groggy and unwell. She wouldn't eat at first and I had to tempt her with grated carrot, which did eventually work. Good luck with them, it is a worrying time but worth it I think.

I think you've got most things covered. I know that you will take excellent care of your girls. Did you say you are home schooled??? so you will be around to check on them all the time. I know its been said that winter isnt the best time for a spay but if this is out of your control, you can just give the buns loads of soft bedding and move their hutch to a sheltered area in the garden when they do have to go back out. try not to worry too much. i'm sure they will be fine:D

My only question would be the dandelions... If you're leaving these with your vet, surely they'll have wilted by the time their spay is done? I read somewhere wilted dandelions can cause bloat.

Dont use hay or starw for bedding after a spey, its sharp and can get stuck to/in the wound and irritate it which makes them more likely to go for the stitches.

Use towels and shredded newspaper and I would keep them inside for 48 hours and certainlt untill they are eating again.

Offer water in a bowl if you dont usually.

Dont use hay or starw for bedding after a spey, its sharp and can get stuck to/in the wound and irritate it which makes them more likely to go for the stitches.

Use towels and shredded newspaper and I would keep them inside for 48 hours and certainly untill they are eating again.

Offer water in a bowl if you dont usually.

Sunnie will get spayed tomorrow, too. I will keep her indoors for two nights at least and if she is back to normal then, she will go back outside. She has no bun to cuddle up to at the moment, so I have to be her nurse instead. It won't be too cold next week, but wet and windy, and I have noticed that stormy weather can cause bloat in babies and bunnies. So I would really keep a good eye on them if you put them back outside on Tuesday already.
Soft hay should be ok as bedding. I don't know what your vet will do about the wound. Mine uses some kind of glue to close the outer part, so there is nothing the bunnies can nibble on. If yours uses string (?), you need to check the wound a few times a day to make sure they haven't bitten it open again.

I have two foster does being spayed tomorrow and one buck being neutered. They will be inside in dog crates, litter trays filled with shredded paper, hay racks and vet bed on the floor of the crates. I will keep all three in for atleast two days. Sending good luck vibes to your girlies. :wave:

Elve - They have to be spayed now because they are hormonal and everything, and on Tuesday, it's going to be about 15C so it's quite warm, and they'll have a Snugglesafe.

Kayjay - thanks for the advice. We can't keep them in any longer than one night. It's impossible for us.

Kirsty&Lola - thanks. Their hutch is covered on three sides from the wind and partly blocked on the fourth side, so pretty sheltered. I won't be able to nurse them full time. I go to college so can't stay up or anything.

casu consulto - The dandelions are the ones that come in packets from hay experts:

https://www.thehayexperts.com/product_info.php?cPath=7&products_id=260

Sooz22 - Thanks. I'll use shredded paper, vetbed and the heatpad. Can I ask why offer water in a bowl?

Water from a bowl is more comfortable for them, so they don't have to reach up too high and hurt their wounds. They will most likely drink more from a bowl too, so its good for them in general, keeping their guts moving etc. You can always add a splash of boiling water to the bowl so its warmish when you give it to them, that might encourage them to drink it too. Just keep an eye on the bowl and make sure they don't kick it over, you can always give them their bottle and an additional bowl. Hope it all goes well :)

They have to stretch up to reach a bottle and it may hurt their tums and stitches :D A bowl is easier for them :D Good luck :D

thanks. The bottle they have at the moment is not up high, they have to couch to drink from it. and also, they'll have hay on the floor of their living area, cos they only eat hay from the floor, so they'll be on hay whatever. So should I put hay in their bedroom as well as shredded paper?

You could always put hay in half the bedroom and paper in the rest. Have they had paper before? Just make sure they don't eat lots of it. When Bailey was neutered, I left his plastic floor bare, gave him a towel (which he just dug up) and put hay one end of his cage. He did lie on it, but he chose to so I'm guessing that it wasn't hurting him!

Well, good luck for the girls. As I have said before, sometimes a health problem or severe weather might force you to keep bunnies indoors for more than one night. So you need to provide the space and get a suitable cage or dog crate. There is space in every house, the problem seems to be your parents not allowing the bunnies to stay indoors.

I would stil offer tham a bowl as it takes less effort to drink from than a bottle and they wont have a great deal of energy to start with. ;)

Try to keep them inside so they dont get to cold, its windy and wet here. Hope the weather is better there for you and them x x x

Alvin didnt drink for the first day after his op, so i made sure his veg was really wet when i gave it to him...

good luck to your girls today xxxxx

Back