• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

If a rabbit were Pregnant

Scrufox86

Warren Scout
Hi i was wondering if a rabbit was pregnant now would it be able to still live outside?

I would assume they can as rabbits in the wild don't halt pregnancy for months but just want to make sure.

I would assume they can as rabbits in the wild don't halt pregnancy for months but just want to make sure.

Actually, although rabbits have the potential to breed all year around most round are born spring/summer/autumn. Not December - the survival rate would be extremely low.

If the hutch was in a well insulated shed with plenty of bedding that would probably be okay but youngsters in a hutch outside this time of year would be very susceptible - particularly when they started venturing out and eating solids. Once the female has made a nest/given birth it's also not a good idea to disturb them so if you left it and the weather got suddenly worse - moving the accommodation then could cause the doe to kill or abandon the babies.

Tamsin

Oh right. I was thinking if the rabbit gave birth in mid January would that be alright?

It's usually mildish where i live by then but can get colder in february for a week or 2.

I had a litter of kits born in mid febrauary before, and dispite it not being freezing, none of the litter survived. The doe was in an indoor cage, in a shed so sheltered from wind/rain etc.
This was the only one of the litters I had not to have a single surviver, I put it down to the time of year, and also the mothers inexperence.

I would wait until atleast end of March time if you are planning to breed, however if there has been an accidental breeding and this is when your kits are due, all you can do is provide loads of warm bedding, etc to aid the litters survival.

A good mother can bring her kits up nomether what kind of wheter.
Ofcourse you have to give them planty off bedding and make sure no rain can get into the hutch.
My first litters are born here every year at the beginning of januari and they al survive, even though it was freezing quit good last time.
Ofcourse you have to whatch the first time mothers a little more closly because somethimes they forget something, but usualy when i show them how it is to be done they pic it up quite quickly.

I know plenty of breeders who have litters in mid-winter.
As long as the hutch is good enough and the mother is good at making a nest it shouldn't be a problem.
When I was in Sweden I even spotted one litter that had been born outside a litterbox. Yet the nest was very big and warm, but personally I'd prefer using a box, in case one of the babies wander out of the nest (you'll be surprised at how mobile little babies are occasionally):roll:

Well i know my female lionhead is a very good mother. She had her first litter in August and all 5 survived despite it being her first time. I was thinking of breeding her again some time as she is really good. She has had a lot of phantom pregnancies and even then she makes a good little nest. A couple of nights back in august when the kits were about 2 weeks old and it had gotten quite cold she actually pulled more fur out and placed it over them. Also for this recent phantom i put quite a lot of straw in and it looks like she knows what she's doing.

I do have a question about another rabbit, she is almost 10 months old, a mini lop and she has never had a phantom pregnancy and i've read up and it says that females are meant to mature at about 7 months. Is this something to worry about? Can she not have kits? or is she just very late maturing?

I do have a question about another rabbit, she is almost 10 months old, a mini lop and she has never had a phantom pregnancy and i've read up and it says that females are meant to mature at about 7 months. Is this something to worry about? Can she not have kits? or is she just very late maturing?

Not all bunnies have phantoms

Can I ask why you are breeding, do you have a reason? :) What do you do with the babies?

I'm curious now :oops: :lol:

Oh and welcome to the forum! :wave:

I don't wish to seem rude but if you don't know much about rabbits and their breeding needs/habits..then you shouldn't be breeding..:?

Hi Gem. Thing is i didn't intentionally breed my rabbit, she was presumed to be male and she got to my actual male while they were in the garden and then i found out she was female when it was too late.

I have kept all 5 babies. I did try to find homes for them but people i knew who have had rabbits before didn't want any more rabbits. The babies are due to be neutered in the next few weeks. And obviously i have kept thier parents apart.

To honeybunny, i don't want to seem rude but i do know about rabbits, just because i don't know everything does not mean i shouldn't be doing anything you say i shouldn't.

Last edited:
I think what Jill was saying, is these are questions to ask and research before having babies. You've now explained the first litter was accidental.

As you've found out rabbits (even babies) are very hard to home.

I wouldn't recommend breeding from unknown parents either. Unfortunately pet rabbits have a few genetic problems and unless you're breeding with rabbits brought from a responsible breeder who tracks family health history you never know what you'll end up with.

It's great you're neutering the previously litter and are able to keep them. Unfortunately a lot of people aren't that responsible and dump them on rescues.

If you neutered the dad, you'd probably find he and the mum would pair up nicely :)

Tamsin

Back