• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Geoffrey's Story

Jack's-Jane

Wise Old Thumper
Geoffrey and his brother were bought from a Breeder. The buyer thought they were getting a Buck and a Doe but obviously the Breeder mis-sexed one of the Buns
The brothers lived together but at puberty they had a huge fight resulting in Geoffrey sustaining injuries that required surgery :cry: All went well with this but his owner felt unable to keep both Rabbits so Bobtails Rescue was contacted. The owner agreed to get Geoffrey neutred before signing him over to Bobtails.
Unfortunately during the neutering Geoffrey sustained oxygen deprivation resulting in severe brain damage :cry: The owner had already lost a cat during neutering by the same Vet ...........:? :cry:

Anyway, it was initially unclear how longterm Geoffrey's problems would be and Bobtails still agreed to take him on. At first he could do nothing for himself at all and was blind :cry:
Bobtail's Vet took over Geoffrey's care and several tests were run to try to establish a prognosis or if PTS would be kinder :cry:

Gradually over time Geoffrey became more mobile. He always retained an excellent appetite and is extremely calm and affectionate. The situation at the moment is that Geoffrey has regained the use of his limbs and can sit up and get himself about. Although it's more of a drunken stagger than a hop.
He can differentiate between light and dark but has no other vision.
He has bilateral otitis externa at the moment (infected ears) and a nasty case of mites causing some infected dermatitis. But he is on treatment for these problems and it is hoped he will respond well to them. He also needs his bladder expressing as he cant do so for himself.

Geoffrey loves his food as you can see from these pics!!

Picture1696.jpg

Picture1699.jpg

We dont know what the future holds for Geoffrey. We will take one day at a time. For now he is a very happy Bunny and we will make sure he always is

Janex :D

Last edited:
Aaaaaw Jane he is gorgeous and you have so done the right thing in giving him a happy life (however short or long it might be given his problems). As long as he is not in pain and is eating and he certainly looks a very happy contented bun from those pictures he is going to live out his days being one very spoilt and well loked after bunny with you. I've said it before but I'll say it again you truly do have a heart of gold and do amazing work

Hi,

He certainly is a little well not so little:? :? fighter.

He's in good hands and here's to a wonderful life however long it maybe.

Maureen

Awww his story is very sad but it look as if there is hope for him now he's in your care :)

Can I ask why he has a lot of fur missing? Is this due to a reaction from the tests or does he fur-pull?

I think he's beautiful and the celery-eating face is lovely! :D :wave:

Awww Jane, he's so, so lovely :love: Its a very sad story but one that now has a happy ending. He is certainly a very special chap, and he has now found the home he needs, well done you :D :thumb:

Bobtail's Rescue needs to take the praise for not giving up on Geoffrey.
Bobtail's will remain very much involved in any decisions about Geoffrey's future.
I get all the Bunny cuddles though!! :D :D

Janex

Aw Geoffrey is just gorgeous! :love: Well done to you and to Bobtails for sticking with him! :D :D :D

AMETHYST

Oh what a handsome man!

What a sad story but a big hurrah to those who didn't give up on him.

So hope he continues to improve.

Be happy Geoffrey :love: :love: you are very special.

Jane if you don't mind me asking, how do you express his bladder? Its not something i have ever heard of before.

Very carefully!!

You can feel a full bladder by palpating it. You *very gently* put pressure on the top end of the bladder and massage *carefully* downwards.
It's not something that should be attempted without receiving 'training' from a Vet as Bunny bladders are very delicate and ruptures can occur if manual bladder expression is done incorrectly

Janex

Last edited:
Very carefully!!

You can feel a full bladder by palpating it. You *very gently* put pressure on the top end of the bladder and massage *carefully* downwards.
It's not something that should be attempted with receiving 'training' from a Vet as Bunny bladders are very delicate and ruptures can occur if manual bladder expression is done incorrectly

Janex

Don't panic I was never planning on attempting it, thank you for explaining though. Does this in turn mean that Geoffrey is unable to urinate for himself? If this a temporary thing caused by the bladder sludge or a more pernament result of his brain damage? How often are you having to express it for him?

Is there a reason you didn't go into vet nurisng Jane? You seem to have more knowledge than alot of them! My cousin is training to be a vet nurse and I wouldn't let her with 10 feet of one of my rabbits!! :shock:

Don't panic I was never planning on attempting it, thank you for explaining though. Does this in turn mean that Geoffrey is unable to urinate for himself? If this a temporary thing caused by the bladder sludge or a more pernament result of his brain damage? How often are you having to express it for him?

Is there a reason you didn't go into vet nurisng Jane? You seem to have more knowledge than alot of them! My cousin is training to be a vet nurse and I wouldn't let her with 10 feet of one of my rabbits!! :shock:

I dont know if Geoffrey will ever regain the ability to 'feel' when he has a full bladder. The sludge doesn't help and we have to regulate his calcium intake and maximise his fluids

He has only been with me for 24 hours and so far his bladder has needed emptying about every 6 hours.

I wish I were clever enough to have been a Vet/ Vet Nurse but I'm not!!

Janex

What a wonderful person you are Jane. Geoffrey is in the best place possible and well done to Bobtails for not giving up on him. He looks absolutely gorgeous.

What a sad story but well done to Bobtails and to you Jane for offering him a future. He is a stunner :love: :love: :love:
Taz

Hes lovely Jane. Jaypot took on a bunny that had paralysis from the GA. I wonder how he is doing?

He is SUCH a gorgeous boy! Such a kind expression he has.....he just makes you want to scoop him up and cuddle him!!!!!:D :D :D :D :D

A MASSIVE 'Well Done' to Bobtails AND to you for giving this amazing boy a second chance at life! xxx:D :D :D :D :D

Back