• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Messy buns

louandjoe

Alpha Buck
I've got 5 bonded buns who freerange in my kitchen at the moment - they've got a big rug at one end with their litter tray, food bowls, tunnels and toys etc.

They're mostly litter trained, well they were all litter trained when on their own but since all 5 are together, they poo all over the place :roll: There's also wee patches on the rug and on the floor.

Any ideas what I can do to stop them making such a mess everywhere? :?

How many litter trays do they have? My 3 have 3 litter trays. Maybe add more.. put hay above the trays and/or in them too to encourage them to go there. If they do a puddle, mop it up with some kitchen/toilet roll and put the wet tissue in their trays. Put poo in their trays too. I guess they are just scenting their territory what with all the scents there. My simba was always tidy but since i added Nala and then Fifi there is always poo all over the floor in their room, and the odd puddle. :roll:

I'm guessing they are recently bonded? Its a territory thing, I have had the same with my 3, and am still having problems with the girls at times - its almost as if they go nuts trying to see who can poo the most to mark which bits of the living room are theirs.... having two litter trays has helped though... good luck :D

They've been bonded as a 5 for about 2 months now.

Will try the extra litter tray. We've got a massive tray at the moment, but Barney always digs the litter tray out :evil: Little ****** :lol:

We have three bunnies living in the conservatory.

Mess abounds! Mr Herbie is a fluffster so carries hay everywhere and the girlies (as yet) are very hit and miss (mainly miss :lol: ) with the litter trays.

I have callouses on my knuckles from going around on all fours picking up hay and poops - trying to keep on top of the mess is a full time job!

BUT - the buns give so much pleasure that the stained, hay ridden carpet is not an issue. OH is even tolerant of the fact that the newish Ikea chairs have been chewed. :(

However, next Spring they will be moving out into a bunny palace (AKA shed) as they much prefer access to the outdoors.

I think 'mess' comes with the territory with house buns!

Last edited:
Back