• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How Many Microchipped Buns??

Ab & Stu

Alpha Buck
Hi

How many of you have your buns Microchipped?? Sorry if this has been asked before :oops:
I am think of having Ebony & Stu done as i have all my other animals done.
I don't want to stress them out and they are indorr bus so do you think it's necessary???

Thanks

Abbie

I've got indoor buns and I won't be getting mine microchipped. I don't think there's any point. I would consider it if they were outdoors though.

I have heard that most places never bother scanning found rabbits for their details so I most pobably wont bother. However I guess as it becomes more common more rabbits will be scanned when found :roll:

In my opinion I feel that most lost rabbits will either be found by someone who thinks it's cute and wants to keep it or found by a fox. They cant look after themselves as well as a dog or cat :(

Saying that for a one off fee of £10(ish) they may well be one of the lost rabbits that are found and scanned.

In my opinion I feel that most lost rabbits will either be found by someone who thinks it's cute and wants to keep it or found by a fox. They cant look after themselves as well as a dog or cat :(

"Dyrebeskyttelsen" in Norway (kind of the Norwegian equivalent of RSPCA I guess) go out "hunting" rabbits occasionally;) The rabbits they capture are taken care of until the owner is found or they get new homes.
Also I believe that most "decent" people who find a domestic rabbit would try and look for an owner, and if you at the same time put up wanted-posters, and said person sees it, most would give the rabbit back.
So yeah, some do try and capture runaway rabbits, not all are taken by foxes or stolen:D

Mine aren't chipped. Sasuke has a registration tattoo in his ear from NKF so I think he could be traced using that, Aroma hasn't gotten hers yet (they get the registration tattoo when they've gotten 93 points or more at a rabbit show, she's gotten 91 at most, during shedding) She's tattooed, but only in one ear and she can't be traced with it.
I would like to get them chipped, although I doubt many will look for a chip in them, at least for Zakura since she's not tattooed (not a show-rabbit)

I asked a similar question a while ago about how many people scanned:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=104558

Mine are microchipped, ive been microchipping my buns for the last 10 years :D

The surgeries I work for do scan rabbits and I think more rescues are becoming more aware of the possibility of a rabbit being microchipped.
I think it better safe than sorry especially as mine are free range in the garden.
In regard to housebuns, what if somehow they did sneak out the back or front door? There is always a small risk.
It also secures ownership if for any reason your rabbit was stolen.
The other thing that has always played on my mind....
a few years ago a friend of mine took her rabbit to be neutered, she took the neutered male partner too for company and when she went to collect them that night the male was humping the girl like crazy and my friend said to the nurse 'how long has he been doing that?' to which the nurse replied 'all afternoon' Turned out it wasn't her bun at all and was just VERY similar and luckily my friend noticed and asked her to scan both rabbits as she said herself that it would be hard to tell the diff between the two! The nurse had muddled them up when she put them back after ops :?

People in my area would probably give the animal back but in the estate just down the road I highly doubt it.

Put it this way - The rabbits would be lucky if someone found it and wanted to take care of it as some of the kids in that area might find it funny to use the rabbit as some kind of toy! :censored:

Beau is because the rescue had already microchipped him :D

The others arent because they cant get out of the garden at all so I never really thought I needed to, and I supervise them anyway so its not like they are going to just dissapear and I wont know where they are :D And there is no chance of them getting out the front door when they are in the house because we are always really careful about shutting the buns in a room before opening the front door :D

And it would be hard enough for someone to get in over our fences and gates, they would never get out of the garden with a rabbit :shock: :lol:

Kovus microchipped :) I asked on here how common it is and someone said that the more people who get buns chipped, then the more buns who will be scanned when found!

Both of mine were chipped yesterday.
I was bothered because I knew it was going to be a "fatter" needle but it didn't bother either of them; they just sat there.

Although they're house-buns they will be going in the back garden next summer (under supervision); and what worries me is next door a) next doors kitten/cat and b) the people next door (although that's not limited to summer - they don't get on with us!).

Thanks for all your replies! I think I may get both of mine done when we next go to the vet. They both live indoors and when the nice weather gets here they will have an enclosed garden to run round but you never know!

Thanks again!

Abbie

As our bunnies are in the living room on the 7th floor of a block of flats I've not seen the need to get them microchipped. However, if there was even the slightest chance they could escape or be stolen (e.g. if they ever went into the garden or if they had access to a hallway leading to the front door) then I'd have them microchipped. :)

AMETHYST

Back