• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Flooring in Dog Crates?

Miloe's_Mum

Alpha Buck
Hi everyone,

I want to get a dog crate for our kitchen as a 'base' for the buns - so i can put their hay in there and hope it stays in there!

Vet bed always seems to make them want to pee on it, newspaper they shred it........:roll:

Any ideas? do you think those lino floor tile samples would be best or just an old towel? What does everyone else use?

Thank you!

Mine have a duvet in there at the moment :oops: They're spoilt though and kept telling me how much they liked a duvet last night by flopping out on it all the time :lol:

Id prob say lino as its easy to be cleaned! Or a bit of old carpet as you could easily replace it if it gets peed on etc.

Sometimes but not as much as they do on the vet bed & they're mainly quite good. Don't know what it is about vet bed but they seem to feel they have to pee on it :rolleyes:

mine wee on anything soft as well - is so annoying!! :roll: I have lino in there and on the shelf my boyfriend made and then some flattened cardboard boxes to lie on which aren't so hard as the bare floor. Still trying with the vet bed etc but is soaked with wee within about 5 minutes every time i put it in!!:shock:

my indoor bun has a dog crate and i just put cardboard on the floor of it. she also has a wee hidey hole in the crate and she just loves to scrape/rip the cardboard up and toss it over the rest of the crate. keeps her amused for hours.........:)

Carpet samples. They're edged too so don't disentegrate so easily. At the moment I've got a rug though, can be taken out to be washed as it doesn't have carpet backing.

Mine have their own towels. Their hay is just in an underbed storage box which is the only place they wee. The odd poo escapes onto the towels but I don't find this a major problem. They do like to roll the towels into a big ball in the middle of the crate though so sometimes they are just on the plastic base :roll: :D

Im glad this has been posted, i started with a proper dog crate mate, first week fine second week soaked with wee i then put in a b and q plastic floor mat first week great litter tray being used properly second week mat half non existent as all chewed up and wee underneath? now i am onto second mat a little chewed still peeing on it iv given up! was thinking about trying a piece of lino?

I got annoyed with my rabbit in a dog crate today, so at the moment she only had newspaper and a towel in her crate. I have chucked out ther very expencive bed and her vet bed. I know I'll feel guilty later tonight and put someting warm and soft in there!

Back