• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A&P or SS?

cavysrock

Wise Old Thumper
i was just looking at the GJW Titmuss sight.
The food I buy, 10kg of SS cost £20 and I don't pay postage cos I buy it from a local feed store, and 20kg A&P costs £6 (not inc postage) on that sight.
So I'd rather buy the cheaper one lol, but is it better than SS?

There have been loads of threads in the care section about this, they both have their pros and cons.
Try searching to see what other people have said before :D

from what i can tell.... it goes off really really quickly just 3 months i think and bunnies dont seem to like switching to it... nearly 3 weeks and Alvin still leaves half a bowl...but he is eating more hay

the fibre content is higher at about 23% and its cheap for loads :)
i switched because the rescue im going to get Alvins wife recommended it and said the excel i was using is full of sugar, plus itll be easier to have both buns on the same food when i eventually get her....

i would like to try the bunny basics T as that has the highest fibre content but is more expensive and probably doesnt go off as quickly...

when i enquired to an online shop about stocking Allen & paige they said they used to but it wasnt very popular so they just sell the SS now...

I only have experience with SS and my two love it but its only £14.75 for 10kg at The Hay Experts, are there any local petshops that you could ask to order it in for you to save a few quid?

I don't know :?
I think i'll just stick with my SS, all the bunnies love it so there isn't really any need to change :lol:
it's still only £15 (not inc p+p) for the bedding and the guinea pig food from there lol

I don't know :?
I think i'll just stick with my SS, all the bunnies love it so there isn't really any need to change :lol:

I think that makes sense :lol: , its worth looking into alternative suppliers though, I use T.H.E because I buy dried grass and brome hay from there too so the delivery charge isn't an issue.

lol I have managed to spend about £20 at the hay experts and about £20 at GJW Titmuss. I don't need any food at the moment, I bought 30kg of food two weeks ago :lol: but i could do with the megazorb on GJW

£20 for SS sounds a bit steep. I'm getting a local pet store to order it for me and he said the catalogue price is £16.99 but he'll do it a couple of quid cheaper for me.

A&P is higher in fibre and if I had a local store who could get hold of it easily I would probably feed it.

I have moved Evo to A&P because he wouldn't eat the bigger, harder pellets of SS. He still doesn't like it as much, but is eating it now. I'm sure he'd still prefer SS though! :lol: My local supplier is ace - they charge 50p delivery, and I can leave a cheque out for them if I'm not going to be home. I think I'm going to end up wasting a lot though, it only lasts a couple of months, and 20kg is waaaaay too much for 1 bun!

My bunnies started on excel, then went onto SS and now onto A&P. I must have been lucky cos i didnt have any major problems swapping them over each time... they did seem to prefer the SS than A&P but still ate the A&P aswell. Now they are used to the A&P they go mad for it and their poos are alot bigger, ive had less problems with fur blockages, but then i also reduced the amounts of food i gave them so they eat more hay now.

I have moved Evo to A&P because he wouldn't eat the bigger, harder pellets of SS. He still doesn't like it as much, but is eating it now. I'm sure he'd still prefer SS though! :lol: My local supplier is ace - they charge 50p delivery, and I can leave a cheque out for them if I'm not going to be home. I think I'm going to end up wasting a lot though, it only lasts a couple of months, and 20kg is waaaaay too much for 1 bun!

Is there anybody local to you who might share a sack? Me and Ali share one and i still dont get through the 10kg between my 3 buns very quickly! The last sack i think we had for longer than 3months, as long as its in an airtight container i dont think it really goes off.. my 3 were fine when they ate it :?

Is there anybody local to you who might share a sack? Me and Ali share one and i still dont get through the 10kg between my 3 buns very quickly! The last sack i think we had for longer than 3months, as long as its in an airtight container i dont think it really goes off.. my 3 were fine when they ate it :?

I keep meaning to ring to rescue local to me to see if they'll have it. :roll: Must do it! I don't have anyone else local that I know with a bunny.

i would like to try the bunny basics T as that has the highest fibre content but is more expensive and probably doesnt go off as quickly...

I switched to Bunny Basics T a while ago now and its the best thing ive done!
I always fed Excel for years and years and decided to go for this instead as I like the content.
I don't feel its expensive but I only feed a sprinkle of it between 2 once a day as a treat for coming to bed.
Ive had this 4 kg bag ive got now for about 6 weeks and still got at least a third of it left! It still smells good too and the buns still munch it up :D

I switched to Bunny Basics T a while ago now and its the best thing ive done!
I always fed Excel for years and years and decided to go for this instead as I like the content.
I don't feel its expensive but I only feed a sprinkle of it between 2 once a day as a treat for coming to bed.
Ive had this 4 kg bag ive got now for about 6 weeks and still got at least a third of it left! It still smells good too and the buns still munch it up :D

i think ill try it once ive got Alvins wife.... that could take years after the last attempt... :? i just want him on the same feed as the rescue bun for now.... when we find her... :lol: :lol:

I've tried excel, ss and A & P, which we're on at the mo. We have 7 rabbits so not a problem with it going off. It's higher fibre and cheaper which is a bonus. I like it because it's small bits. Fits into a treatball and other toys and can be hidden in hay easier. Ours adore it and it's easier for them to scoff down than the big ss pellets.

Back