• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New to owning rabbits, advice and tips welcomed!

callan

New Kit
Hello my name is callan and tonight I bought my new bunny "Starbuck".
I have a small hutch outside my bedroom window with an area for her to hide in and i have lined the floor with hay, the bottom of the hutch slides out so it is easier to clean.

And I have a small wooden box in my room for her to sleep in on cold nights.

I am going to be building a light framed run to place on the grass outside probably 5x5 meters, im going to make it big enough to place her hutch in and make a ramp so she can go in and out herself.

I am new to owning rabbits and would like any tips or advice you can give me.
let me know if there's anything that i should include in the run.

5x5 metres sounds great. Rabbits do need plenty of space. The minimum hutch recommendations are 5ft by 2ft. You need to make the run fox proof as well.

Bunnies love toys as well, have a look around in pet stores or online. Mine love stripping the bark off off apple tree branches, and they have a few jiggly plastic toys to throw around.

Hi :wave:

Don't bring her inside at night as it will be too warm for her if she's used to living outside, just put extra bedding in her hutch for her to snuggle in!

Run size sounds great, mine like things they can hop on and under, fave thing at the moment is a step from Wilkos bought for £3, also things like willow balls they can destroy!!! :lol:

Hi! Welcome to the wonderful world of rabbit ownership!

Best advice I can give is to get her her spayed and then she can have a neutered boyfriend from a rescue centre.

If you're interested in reading up 'Rabbitlopedia' is a good book. Quite extensive but easy to understand. It has a really good medical section should you ever need it.

:wave: i would say get her speyed so reduces hormonal behaviour and also she can hacve a friend as they love bunny company - and you can have 2 fluffy friends. Also v important for her to have lots of hay to eat every day.

make sure the walls of your run are high enough and the top is secure. my run is 2metres high so i put in a door that i can get in and out of. also gave space to put an upstairs run with the hutch underneath so that its kept drier in wet weather . if you have space to build something like this then it's worth it. my buns love their run and the freedom they get in it as they are only kept in their hutch at night.

Thank you everyone!
and yes I am hoping to make the run large enough so that i am able to go inside with her, as well as place her current hutch, also big enough incase later on I am able to get her a friend.

I have been at work today, so i left her in her hutch, so she could get used to it. I now have her inside at the end of my bed.

A little earlier on I had her loose in my room and she would come up to me and put her front paws on my legs then bound off around my armchair around the other side of the room and come back to me, she is soo cute!

I also bought her a little rubber ball with a bell inside of it so it jingles when it is rolled, although she hasn't played with it, i have been trying to teach her how to use it.

Hello and welcome! :wave: Please can we have piccies of Starbuck (and what a great name too!)?

I agree with everything said - the most important things being to get her vaccinated as soon as possible and spayed when she's old enough (about 4-6 months old).

AMETHYST

Back