• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

*Urgent*Taylor is thin so worried (U.D Putting on weight)

caismeister

Alpha Buck
Hi just been out to do the night feeds and Taylor is really thin eating fine but feels thin.Have bought him and the 2 others he lives with in for the night gonna go vets in morning but so worried is there anything i can do please if anyone can help

Last edited:
First thought would be teeth....Fiver looses weight when his teeth need doing despite eating OK. Its the only sign he ever gives me that he needs another dental :roll:

Otherwise....is there any food bullying going on? Is everyone getting their fair share?

Is he drinking or weeing more than normal?

How old id he?

How quickly has he lost weight? My first thought was also teeth, my Santa also loses weight whenever she has a bout of snuffles brewing. There are also a few contagious things that can cause weight loss, like coccidiosis - but there are much easier things like teeth to check first. Are the other two perfectly fine?

he is 7 months

is in a trio but dont seem to be drinknig or weeing more although with 3 together hard to tell(no more than usual though)

all get enough pellets each watch them with their pellets and have loads of hay all day

am worried cause i had a bun like this once before and was kidney failure but he was drinking and weeing loads so that is different really

will get vet to check teeth but has just eaten a carrot so not sure if will be that

does your bun eat when teeth need doing?

Fiver eats when his teeth need doing but a bit slow....he loooses weight because the other two eat his share as they finish before him.

Has he ever been wormed?

is due to be wormed waiting for a delivery from hyperdrug will get vet to check teeth but has been eating a carrot as furious as ever

I don't think you can tell anything about teeth by whether he's eating a carrot or not. Some buns don't show any obvious 'signs' of dental problems, but they might not be grazing on as much hay throughout the day, for example. Some stop or slow down on eating pellets, some don't eat as much veg, some carry on as normal. I would definitely ask your vet to have a good look at his teeth.

When Fiver completely went of his food because his teeth were so bad (happened once when I didnt know what the signs were and his teeth problems had not yet been diagnosed) the only thing he would eat was carrot :roll:

just given him some oats this morning will def get the vet to check his teeth.Have had rabbits for years but never with teeth trouble so would be new to me. Will update later

Just back from the vet has given me panacur and fibreplex to give him.He checked his teeth and they were ok also checked his kidneys and they seemed fine.Going to feed him seperately from the other 2 for a while and hopefully will put some weight on.Going to weigh him regularly to check his weight.

Yeah it seems to be a mystery still vet couldnt find anything but he is improving has put on nearly 2oz in 2 days so thats good news.Just going to keep feeding him seperately for a while and weighing him every day

Back