• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

unusual bonding behaviour?

ecudc

Warren Veteran
Since friday night we have been bonding my 2 dwarf lops with my "foster" nethie Rosie. The two girls have been chasing a bit and humping poor sooty, although not each other and then quite happily snuggled down next to each other and a bit of mutual grooming. All good.

However, after a day or so we decided to introduce them to a new room (also neutral). we thought there might be a few scraps to begin with but it would all settle down again like last time. However whenever they are in this room honey (the female lop) likes to stalk rosie like a cat stalking a bird and chase her when she gets near enough (She can't ever catch her). Rosie doesn't seem too miffed by all this but I don't think she thinks this is fun.

The strange thing is that when they are back in their original room they are as sweet as pie with each other.

I don't know whether to keep them in the original room until we go back home on Sunday so hopefully the bond is stronger or to let them have as much access to the room which is causing problems and let them just chase it out.

I would keep them in the same room where they are good together for longer and then try the other room, It may be something which has spooked them such as a unusual smell.

When I bonded Gisela's 3 bunnies they were fine indoors, when I first put them on the grass, all hell broke out. I moved them a short distance and they were good again! I had obviously at some stage had another pair of rabbits on the first spot outside which upset them.

Thanks. Not looking forward to returning them to their original room at home (although they'll have to have another 3 hour bonding car journey to get there) Its been cleaned top to bottom but I suspect we may have a few scraps. It does amuse me seeing honey stalk rosie, she keeps close to furniture and peers around it to see where Rosie is, swishing her tail and looking at me to see if I'm watching. If I am she stops and happy flops as if to say "I was going to do this the whole time"

Back