• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Isle of Sheppey

Hi Guys!

Me and my partner look as if we will be moving to the Isle of Sheppey either this year or the early part of next.

I've heard so many stories about the island being riddeled with Myxi im wondering whether or not i should take my rabbits over there.

My Sassi already has head tilt and i dont want to put her at further risk.

A friend of mine has recently moved there and her rabbit although vaccinated contracted the disease after only a month of living there.

I really don't know what to do,

please help! :cry:

Ooh thats interesting, i am not far from the island (not actually on it).
I have never heard that before althoug the people i know from the island don't have bunnies.
I do know that there is quite a large wild population of rabbits so it is feasible...

My Aunt lives on Sheppey and we do see a lot of wild bunnies over there but iIam not sure about the myxi situation though being surrounded by water cant be good for the mozzi population :?

We've probably only got another 2 weeks to go and then we can exchange contracts. Iv'e only been hearing about the myxi troubles in the last week. I even mentioned where we are moving to and she breathed in deeply and said its riddeled with myxi and my buns will need vaccinating twice a year.

Its a gorgeous big bungalow were moving to and it only a few foot steps from the beach.

I live in Swanley @ the mo but me and my partner are now working in Sittingbourne which is the reason for our move.

I'm really stuck with what i should do.

I do have a friend who said she would look after 6 of mine for me - i really want to take them all put dont want to put 14 bunnies lives at risk. If i take the other 8 bunnies with me and they all get it i won't be able to have rabbits again :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

giant rabbit rescue centre is on the isle of sheppey. maybe you could contact the lady who runs it for a chat??

There has been loads of Myxi in my area and my buns have been fine. I think it has outbreaks in certain areas and then dies down so if you are careful when you first get there for a while. I would defo take them.

giant rabbit rescue centre is on the isle of sheppey. maybe you could contact the lady who runs it for a chat??

I will see if i can call them later.

I was thinking over the weekend that i will let my friend and sis-in-law home some for me, and then once we've been on the island for a few months or so and nothing has happened then i will get the rest of my rabbits to come over aswell.

I pray nothing happens to the ones im taking over - im really worried about moving out there now.

There have been massive myxi outbreaks nationwide this year. Just make sure they are vaccinated twice a year, and trust to luck..that's all any of us can do.:)

I'd look up the local vets - you'll need one anyway and discuss it with them. They'll know whether there are many pets there and what the risk is like :)

Tamsin

Back