• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit Behaviour?

Hi everybody:wave: i am new to this forum but need a little help with my bunny.

I have a dwarf lop called Magic, he is 4 years old and is a house bunny. He has been toilet trained from a baby but recently he seems to be peeing wherever he wants which is really out of character for him. Twice in the last week he has done it on the sofa and everyday on the floor in his hutch, it's like a swimming pool.

I have taken him to the vets who don't seem that concerned but have given me so antibiotics which i have given him, i was just wondering what advice you could offer, does he need re toilet training? or do you think it something more medical?

Thanks
Amanda & Magic

Hello :)

Did your Vet test your Rabbits wee for infection or was Baytril (I bet that's the antibiotic !! ) given 'just in case' ?

Is your Rabbit drinking more than normal and has he lost any weight?

Did the Vet check for any signs of arthritis in your Buns spine/legs. Arthritic Buns often loose their litter training

Is your Bun leaking wee ?

There are many reasons why a Bun may lose their litter training so if you can give us a bit more information perhaps we can make some suggestions

Janex

Has your rabbit ever been wormed with Panacur?

Is he drinking more water lately or has he lost any weight?

Thanks for the reply

The vet did prescribe Baytril which i am giving as instructed, he drinks around 500ml a day which is about half his bottle which this had always been the case. He hasn't lost any weight

She didn't really check for anything looked at eyes and ears that was about it, she wanted to so tests but found out that the machine they have got can't test rabbit blood and needs to be sent off so she gave me the antibiotics instead to see whether that sorted the problem.

I also explained that he seems to sit in the urine which makes him very wet and has iritated his skin he has groom in a couple of places quite a lot but she didn't really check this either, we clean and comb the knotted fur everyday but he isn't a rabbit that likes being handled so can be very difficult.

He doesn't leak wee, he just sit does it waits a while then moves somewhere else.

I suppose the vet didn't seem to know much about rabbits and did look at much which is why i thought you guys might be able to help me if i am missing something or i just own an awkward rabbit!

Thanks
Amanda & Magic

Is he actually sitting in the urine or is he wetting himself?

Rabbits with UTIs (such as cystitis) often have trouble directing the urine away from their bodies due to the pain urination causes them.

Is he actually sitting in the urine or is he wetting himself?

Rabbits with UTIs (such as cystitis) often have trouble directing the urine away from their bodies due to the pain urination causes them.

Hmm not actually sure. All i know is that he is wet but the times i have caught him he has hopped away like i have i haven't done anythig honest! Would the Baytril clear this up?

Amanda & Magic

It should do if its cause by a urinary tract infection as opposed to something like bladder stones...

When my Fiver has cystitis I get his bum fur clipped away and apply a barrier cream such as sudocreme or vaseline to protect his skin from urine burn.

It should do if its cause by a urinary tract infection as opposed to something like bladder stones...

When my Fiver has cystitis I get his bum fur clipped away and apply a barrier cream such as sudocreme or vaseline to protect his skin from urine burn.

Thanks for that, I shall be taking him back next week if he is no better which at the moment there is no improvement.

With regard to the sudocreme or vaseline won't he lick it off and would it harm him?

Thanks
Amanda & Magic

No it will be fine, expecially vaseline which contains nothing but petroleum jelly. Its flavourless so he wont exactly find it attractive and it should be rubbed into the skin.

Both are safe for use on human babies and they eat indiscriminately too :roll:

Back