• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pasteurella in rabbits

toffee

Mama Doe
I think one of my rabbits may have pasteurella as she has had pneumonia in the past and an abscess and often gets small porridgey lumps under her skin which seem to disappear over time.

Does this sound like pasteurella?

How common is Pasteurella in rabbits? And how serious is it if they do carry it?

Bleurgh!!!!!:shock:

When she had her pneumonia and abscess was as a result of stress from bullying by other rabbits. Since treatment she has had no problems with snuffles or abcesses like the one she had before. Does this mean she should just exhibit symptoms if stressed?

I don't know that it is pasteurella - it's not been diagnosed, I just read somewhere that lots of rabbits carry it and thought this might explain the pneumonia and abcess?

Bleurgh!!!!!:shock:

When she had her pneumonia and abscess was as a result of stress from bullying by other rabbits. Since treatment she has had no problems with snuffles or abcesses like the one she had before. Does this mean she should just exhibit symptoms if stressed?

I don't know that it is pasteurella - it's not been diagnosed, I just read somewhere that lots of rabbits carry it and thought this might explain the pneumonia and abcess?

There are many different strains of Pasteurella. Respiratory Infections and abscesses are often but *not always* caused by one of the strains
Many Rabbits are asymptomatic carriers of Pasteurella and only develop symptoms at times of stress or when 'ill' in some other way.
I am glad your Bun is now symptom free. Optimum nutrition, good husbandry and a stress free environment will go a long way to ensuring she remains well

Janex :D

Good stuff!!!

She is probably my most spoilt rabbit since her illness. Was not nice having to leave her in hospital 2 nights.:(

Lexie has developed snuffles over the past two days :? I think the stress of moving and all the new surroundings have set her off.

Poor little love is sneezing her head off :(

Back