• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Mating rabbits! It's getting to much for Blue!

cavysrock

Wise Old Thumper
I came down this morning and saw Magic humping poor little Blue. She is pulling him round the cage and pulling his fur out but not in an aggressive way. Blue doesn't seem to bothered, he is just abit annoyed at her and keeps thumping, now they are grunting at each other.
Neither have done this before, Magic is a 6/7 month old un-spayed doe and Blue is a 12-16 month old neutered buck.
Does anyone know why they are doing this?

Last edited:
yeah, we are planning on getting her and holly done either before or justa fter christmas :)

There is an awful lot of thumping and now more humping going on :( and they don't seem to want to be near each other, usually they are snuggling and groomign each other. :(

It's usually a dominence thing, and because magic is not spayed her hormones will be all over the place. When she's spayed it'll settle down.

Nicola

Blue doesn't seem very happy, he has only just recovered from his illness and he is being thrown about by Magic, he looks awful, his fur is all over the cage and the poor boy is exausted, what should I do?

I know, but we won't be able to for at least a week, do I need to seperate them? Blue is quite weak still.
I'll e-mail my mum and ask her to phone the new vets, see how much it is there to get two does done.

Could you put a partition in their home, chicken wire or something so they're still with each other but she can't mess him around. Or put a small box in that only one bunny can fit in at a time as an escape place.

Back