• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Christmas and bunny

pokadotbunny

Young Bun
Hi,

This will be our first Christmas with a bunny and we are worried about her chewing on the Christmas lights or baubles or both. We don't really have anywhere else to put the tree apart from in the lounge which is her main playing space, nor do we have anywhere to raise the tree from the ground. I am worried I will constantly be moving her away and telling her no which i would prefer to avoid if i can.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to make it as stress free for her and us?

Would it be really ugly to have a pen around the tree so she can't get to it? You could always run lights across the top of it to make it more appealing?! :lol:

Cable Tidies!

We have these big plastic tube thingers which we keep cables away from bite-y mouths; they work really well cos rabbits big gobs aren't as big as cable tidies!

We did think about putting a pen around it but with the tree and a pen there would be hardly any room to move.

Being a total non-DIYer, can I get the cable tidies from somewhere like B&Q?

When I had a pet rabbit as a child (Bambi, beautiful albino who was a cross between a rabbit and a hare - rare habbit?) he chewed through the wire on the tree lights and survived. Can't remember being particullarly worried at the time, didn't realise the danger probably. :shock: Goodness knows why my mum let him loose in the room. I am now a responsible rabbit owner who wouldn't let her bun anywhere near cables.:D

def cable ties!!

We had the same worry last year and we decided to get some of those log fences (half round ones ket together by wire) and wrap it around th christmas tree. You can get quite tall ones and it looks like a little santas grotto. Mine didnt dare jump over it so I am lucky in that respect.
We have ours in teh corner of the room with the sofa up against the 'fence' so they cant really get near it either. Molly did decide she wanted to explore by gettign on the settee and then over onto the table we haev it on but luckily that has now worn off. I have also put some smelly candles (unlit) and room scenters on the table too in an attept to deter her with the strong smell.

We don't put our tree up until got presents to put under it. Stops her having access to the lights cable which we do tie at the back. Only thing now is we have to stop her diving into the presents or climbing ontop of the pressies and then disappearing into the tree!:rolleyes:

Back