• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Think next door's rabbit has died :-(

FriskyClover

Warren Veteran
I think the poor rabbit that lives next door has died :(

I hadn't seen them go out to feed him for a few days (even they managed to feed him about every day), so when I got home from work, I had a look through the hole in the fence. I couldn't see him in his attached run and there was a bit of newly dug earth near by.

I'm so sad because he was such a sweet little rabbit and he deserved better then them, they never really took proper care of him or loved him. I have been telling them for years that I would take him in and finally when I have hope of saving him because they're moving to New Zealand, he dies. Now I feel like I should have tried harder to help him.

Binky free little Scooby.

Binky free nextdoor rabbit. I'm sure you did all you could. We can't make people be better, they have to do it on their own. :-(

Thank you for the kind wishes.

No, I've not spoken to them. The only member of my family who is on friendly terms with them is my dad and he doesn't chat to them much.

I used to speak to the mum of the family about the rabbit and give her advice, she seemed to want to do her best with him (I even spoke to her about rescues and getting him neutered). However, her mother in law (who lives with them) kept rabbits about a hundred years ago and used to poo-poo my advice, saying she knew best. You can't do much when faced with ignorance like that.

No, I've not spoken to them. The only member of my family who is on friendly terms with them is my dad and he doesn't chat to them much.

I used to speak to the mum of the family about the rabbit and give her advice, she seemed to want to do her best with him (I even spoke to her about rescues and getting him neutered). However, her mother in law (who lives with them) kept rabbits about a hundred years ago and used to poo-poo my advice, saying she knew best. You can't do much when faced with ignorance like that.

Especially ancient ignorance! :roll:

It's not your fault, don't blame yourself, you tried to offer you advice.

So sorry, next door bunny, RIP little man xxx

might not be dead? maybe they just can't be bothered to feed it or run out of food and thought oh well it will be ok etc etc if they have that attitude?

my neighbours have a hopper full of food for their rabbit - they only feed her occasionally :( I did report them to RSPCA last winter as they hadn't been near the hutch (by my patio) for ages - I thought rabbit had died till I heard frantic scrabbling one night when I was out with my bunnies. Might be worth just checking if you can ask. Just say 'has your rabbit died?' - it's too blunt for her to have time to think and she'll blurt out the truth.

I'm going to keep checking through the fence, if I get a chance to speak to them, I'll ask if it's dead (assuming I can catch them before they run inside).

If I do see the little rabbit though, I'm going round there and I'm not coming back without him (I'll have to be persuasive). Sadly though, I really do think he's died.

Back