• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

is conjunctivitis contagious???

LittleBunniesRock

Warren Scout
Was wondering this because my mum met someone earlier today who offered to watch our buns while we were away this christmas. She has a rabbit, but it has breathing problems and conjunctivitis at the moment. Although there is about a month until we leave, I was wondering if conjunctivitis is contagious, and if it is, how contagious is it? She would just be coming over to our house to keep an eye on them- they would have no contact with the actual sick rabbit. (BTW, she has taken her bun to the vet and it has eye drops, so it could clear up by then anyway ;) ) I would really like to use her as she actually knows rabbits very well it seems, and although my usual friends know the basics, I wouldn't like something serious to happen! Thanks for the help!!!

Surely it can only be passed on if your buns come in contact with the other buns leaking eyes. I just know that in people you shouldn't wear mascara or contact lenses if you have conjunctivitus coz you'll never get rid of it as each time you use your mascara you'll get it again etc.

Sorry if thats no help!!

Was wondering this because my mum met someone earlier today who offered to watch our buns while we were away this christmas. She has a rabbit, but it has breathing problems and conjunctivitis at the moment. Although there is about a month until we leave, I was wondering if conjunctivitis is contagious, and if it is, how contagious is it? She would just be coming over to our house to keep an eye on them- they would have no contact with the actual sick rabbit. (BTW, she has taken her bun to the vet and it has eye drops, so it could clear up by then anyway ;) ) I would really like to use her as she actually knows rabbits very well it seems, and although my usual friends know the basics, I wouldn't like something serious to happen! Thanks for the help!!!

As long as the infected Rabbit does not come into contact with yours and the lady is careful re handwashing before feeding/cleaning/handling your Buns it should be fine

*If* the sick Bun has a Pasteurella infection then transmission would most likely occur by direct contact between the Rabbits or by airbourne transmission when Buns share the same environment

Janex

Aside from the eye drops, she should also be disinfection the buns enclosure at least evry other day and washing her hands before and after handling. Especially if she will be handling another bun.

Even though it will be a month later, just ask her to wash well before handling your buns. I'm not sure how long the bug stays active on surfaces, such as her hands.

I would be more worried that the bunny had pasteurella but if they are staying at the houses and by watching you are just dropping by I dont think its an issue.....though the bunny may like a nice warm indoor cage ATM.

Back