• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

a Lionhead question.

Pipstrel

Mama Doe
When I add to my bunny family (in the distant future :( ) I'd like a lionhead coz I think they are gorgeous.

However are they long haired all over or is it just a mane like a lion? Just wondered coz there seem to be some that are big bundles of fluff and others that just look extra hairy round the neck/head but no where else.

Thank you x

I'd like this little guy :love:
http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/moreinfo.asp?RabID=8858

My lionheads have manes roung their necks and trailing bits on their bums. Teddy has a mullet :lol: :roll: , Michelle has mutton chops :lol: :roll: and Prince has a quiff!!:D

My Lionhead has got a mane and fluffy whiskers and a kind of longish coat which is much finer than my other rabbit and seems to moult continually!

Dolly was a bit of a lion head, she just had a fluffy bit around her head, the rest of her was short, smooth, soft and gorgeous!

Perhaps pure lionhead are fluffy all over, other's are crosses? I like the mane but not sure I could copy with a totally fluffy bunny :D

Here's a photo of her showing her at her best!

Dolly036_filtered.jpg

Hannah

I'm sure I read some where recently that the BRC standard denotes that they should only have a long mane, with no fur on the ears and shorter fur on the body... ah but who cares, they are all gorgeous!! :love:

Lionheads should only have a mane. They are allowed to have skirts as babies but they aren't allowed them as Adults.

However because Lionheads have been mucked around with alot by 'Pet' breeders wanting to breed pretty pets :evil: you get alot of variations, right from some completely fluffy to some with no fluff at all.

Lionheads are one of those breeds where things get 'lump' classified because they have a similar characteristic.

Anything with a bit of long fur by the head is called a lionhead. I could count on one hand the number of real lionheads I have seen, and my toes would not go far enough to count the lionhead CROSSES.

My son's friend has a lionhead and ever since he has gone on and on about wanting one ( even though he's 18 ). He has expressed an interest in your little chappy pipestral, just awaiting replies to my e-mail and phone call. He misses his bunny cuddles, our last one died last year.
There has been so much sadness this year to do with equine grass sickness that I find myself holding back a little. I know if I saw any of these buns in the flesh I'd snap them up right away!

Teddy is a lionhead (don't think he's compltely pure breed though):

TheoZinzanandFriend1.jpg

Michelle is a lionhead cross:

Michelle1.jpg

Leon was also a lionhead (cross?):

WALLACEANDLEONApril061.jpg

i'm sure you have seen my lion head :lol: :
doggy004.jpg

doggy003.jpg

He is totally fluffy! He is affectionate and sweet, although grroming him is difficult as he isn't to keen on having the matts on his feet trimmed :rolleyes:

I thought you could get lionheads with a mane and double ones fluffy all over? Seems to just be classed like that in the US having looked though.

Back