• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding 3 boys abandoned- injuries!!

clairen

Warren Scout
Hi,

Some of you may have read my thread in the care section, we were attempting to bond my 2 boys (Eric and Ernie) with their father (Blue). Things had been going quite well 10 days in, although there was a daily scrap (chasing, fur pulling, nips, some locking) between Ernie and Blue which usually resolved very quickly with Ernie backing down, followed by grooming and snuggling together for most of the time.

Unfortunately yesterday (after a calm, no fights day previously) I came down early morning to fur everywhere. Ernie had 2 big bites (with skin flaps). The other 2 boys had some minor wounds. We abandoned the bonding and Blue went back to the rescue. Ernie needed a GA, wound debriding and stitching. Eric just needed a small wound debriding. Both were given an injection of antibiotics and need Protexin. Ernie is having Metacam as well.

I kept them in the bathroom overnight and they are fine, eating, drinking, poo-ing. Have put them back in the hutch this morning and all is well, thank goodness.

I feel terrible and really sad things didn't work out. Poor Blue seems confused and was thumping in his hutch yesterday although has settled. Perhaps some of the more experienced bonders might have stuck with it (as on the whole things were improving until yesterday) but the injuries frightened me too much. Just feel very sad now :cry: :cry:

Hi,

Some of you may have read my thread in the care section, we were attempting to bond my 2 boys (Eric and Ernie) with their father (Blue). Things had been going quite well 10 days in, although there was a daily scrap (chasing, fur pulling, nips, some locking) between Ernie and Blue which usually resolved very quickly with Ernie backing down, followed by grooming and snuggling together for most of the time.

Unfortunately yesterday (after a calm, no fights day previously) I came down early morning to fur everywhere. Ernie had 2 big bites (with skin flaps). The other 2 boys had some minor wounds. We abandoned the bonding and Blue went back to the rescue. Ernie needed a GA, wound debriding and stitching. Eric just needed a small wound debriding. Both were given an injection of antibiotics and need Protexin. Ernie is having Metacam as well.

I kept them in the bathroom overnight and they are fine, eating, drinking, poo-ing. Have put them back in the hutch this morning and all is well, thank goodness.

I feel terrible and really sad things didn't work out. Poor Blue seems confused and was thumping in his hutch yesterday although has settled. Perhaps some of the more experienced bonders might have stuck with it (as on the whole things were improving until yesterday) but the injuries frightened me too much. Just feel very sad now :cry: :cry:

If the injuries were like that i would of called it a day aswell,dont feel bad

Oh that is such a shame but I would say you have done the right thing, they are unlikely to forget after a bad bite :( Poor Blue :cry: :cry: At least Eric and Ernine are still friends.

Last edited:
No you did the right thing....TBH I would never have attempted such a bonding anyway and after injuries like that there is no way I would have carried on.

Hope your boys are doing OK.

No you did the right thing....TBH I would never have attempted such a bonding anyway and after injuries like that there is no way I would have carried on.

Hope your boys are doing OK.

Yes, they seem fine now thank you. Can I ask why you wouldn't have attempted it, I was fully supported by the rescue in doing so?

Purely because Im a wuss and I hate pairing adult males up (only done it twice and the only one that succeeded was a trio with a doe)....I tend to only attempt male to female or female to female (very occasionally).

I always seperate pairs of males if they come in to us, as in my *personal* experience, they all seem to fall out sooner or later and in a rescue scenario that means one or both being returned to us sooner or later.

Back