• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit Picking at Skin

kc3

New Kit
My girlfriend is panicking because her male rabbit she's had for years now is all of a sudden picking at it's fur and even picking at it's neck to the point of rawing it out, making a bad smell and bleeding. She's really worried about her rabbit and neither of us afford to take her rabbit to the vet. Anyone have any ideas???

It sounds like it could have mites but if the skin is broken and smelling bad it sounds like he may also have a skin infection and need antibiotics. There are lots of organisations that offer discount/free vet care to people on low incomes. You can also sometimes do a payment plan with a vet. Call around and check prices for a consultation and ask treatment costs in advance, to treat mites would usually be £15-30 depending on the vet.

Where abouts are you?

I am actualy in the U.S, Colorado Springs, CO, thanks for your help, I'll call around. Does anyone have any more advice?

:wave: This defo sounds like something that the vets will need to treat - the longer it goes on as well the more likely there will be an infection and it will get worse and worse etc. It is not something simple you can fix yourselves.

Back