• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Affectionate Female House Rabbits.

Sooz

Wise Old Thumper
I have just read some information that suggests that male house rabbits bond much better with their owners (especially female owners) than female house rabbits....although this is a generalisation- its one I have found to be true.

Can anyone put my mind at rest with stories of any affectionate female house bunnies they have had, past or present, and how they expressed their affection towards you.

I have to admit I do really love a cuddle bun :oops: :( and I am going to be quite lost without one to follow me about and sit on my lap.

In general that is true - I've read that before. I have to say if you want a bun to follow you around the most then I would go for breed rather than just gender. French Lops are known for following you around.

Although I have two female house buns and they follow me too! Even to the loo!:roll: :lol: :lol: They are both very affectionate. They are small/medium breed rescue buns.

To be honest its much better to go to the rescue and meet the buns as its down to personality and how the two of you react together more than anything else. xx

I already have a couple of bunnies to chose from ;)

Its just the likely candidate, and the one that my OH is most taken with, is female...I have always had male house rabbits and (I feel very guilty about this) I have always had a 'special' bond with my house buns, and am worried I wont get it again with a female.

I dont want to commit myself to 6 or so years just to be wishing she was male the whole time :?

I had a female bun, Grace. She was not a house bun, but she was still the most affectionate bun I have ever had. (MacGyver is a close second, but in his own way.) I got Grace when she was barely 8 weeks old. She was small enough to put in my pocket, and I did. I would lay out in the yard with her constantly and read books, sunbathe, nap with her out there. She was free to roam from dusk to dawn as long as someone was home. She greeted everyone at the gate as if she were a guard dog, and if you didn't reach down to pet her, she would nip your ankles until you did. She did take a special liking to me though. Probably because I spent so much time in the yard with her from day one. She would follow me around the yard like a little puppy and constantly climb up on my lap. If I were pulling weeds, she'd be right there next to me eating them. If I was cutting the grass, she would be following me up and down each row.

I really miss her! :(

Grace is affectionate, she loves to snuggle sometimes but she is willfull and everything is on her terms. She is a real character. I know my friend had a female house bun who was very affectionate and she groomed her and everything.

My first ever Bunnies were 3 Does. All House Rabbits. One of them, Beatrice, was the most loving Bun you could ever wish to meet :love:
She would follow me about, groom me and rush up to greet me if I had been out :love:

I agree that in general Bucks are more affectionate to their hoomans but occassionally there will be a Doe who is too
Beatrice was my Jack's Mummy..........

Then there is the super-snuggle Bun Bobbie!! :love: :love: :love:

Janex

I was just talking about this yesterday with my husband. Although none of my buns live in the house, out of all the rabbits ive had the boys are always much friendlier I dont know why that is and obviously other people will have different experiences but from mine the boys always like the extra nose rubs and cuddles and general being with you.
Sallyx

Roxy is very affectionate to me and if I sit on the floor she licks my knee and clambers all over me.

I wonder... wether this reptation doesn't come from the fact that almost all male buns are neutered and not all females...
Alltough here everybody tends to spay there females as well, it's not common practice everywhere. Neither in Holland or Belgium nor in Switserland... mainly because there is hardly any uteruscancer in those populations (it's probably genetic)

Now an unspayed female rabbit still has a huge influence from hormones... those hormones cause her to be more territorial towards food and space, when a female is already more protective of those things then a male, because in the wild she needs to find nesting place and enough food to get healthy kittens... A male from nature is less territorial already and when neutered, those influences go away...

So I am wondering, allthough I had similar experiences, I never had a spayed female living alone with us... and I am wondering how much of this theory depends on neutering or not...

Does that make any sence?

God I dont know why Im even thinking about this yet.... I feel really guilty now :cry: :cry:

You really shouldn't feel guilty Sooz. When I lost Harvey on the Friday by the Sunday I was already thinking of when I'd have a new one. I didn't want one that quickly but I knew when the time was right it would happen, and then a week later Bella was offered and I felt it was meant to be. It was too early and the first couple of months were difficult as I was missing Harvey so much and wanting her to do what he did and of course she didn't. Now I don't regret getting her at all.

My experience of female bunnies has been mixed. Gracie my first house bun was a very loving and affectionate rabbit - always giving me bunny kisses and following me round and was just like a little dog. When I lost her it was devastating and it was a couple of months before Harvey came into my life. He was the biggest cuddle bunny on this earth and I miss him every single day. Much as I love Bella and Tarquin, Harvey was a very special boy and I think of him every day and still cry at his loss.

Now I have Bella and while she isn't the cuddle bunny Gracie and Harvey were, as a house rabbit she is very very satisfying. I miss the bunny kisses and cuddles, but think I have been lucky that she likes to be with me and is a very happy rabbit.

I think if I'm honest in my heart I would say a boy bunny is better for cuddles and affection, but I couldn't love Bella more than I do and can't imagine her not being in my life. I do miss cuddling up to a bunny in the evening, and both Bella and T have too many fun things to get up to to spend the time Harvey used to spend having cuddles. But I enjoy them both and wouldn't change it.

When the time is right, the bunny you are meant to have in your life will come along.

xx

Last edited:
Lola, my giant continental, is a house bunny and is quite a loving bunny. She jumps on the sofa and if i'm laid down she will lay down on me (as long as i give nose rubs) She grooms me all the time and gives me bunny kisses when i come home. she doesn't like being picked up and cuddled but she shows affection in so many more ways. If i'm studying she will sit at my feet all day:love:

My little Fizzy isn't affectionate at all with me :( She only comes to me if there's food..
Bertie(male) is very affectionate he's always jumping on my knee for cuddles.
With Fizz all she wants is Bertie she is always affectionate with him :D

My Sh*tty (doe) was the best rabbit in the world ever...Fact!

She had been an outdoor rabbit before she came to me at 5 years old. She adapted fantastically to being a house rabbit. Eventually she had free range of my house (except the bedroom) and even used a littler tray, despite being unspayed.

She had the most wonderful character...really friendly and chilled out, nothing could spook her. She followed us everywhere, and didn't need confining to a pen in the garden because she wouldn't run away. She responded to her name, even if it was just to give you a look of disgust because she was being naughty :lol:

She was incredibly cheeky, and if she heard somebody using the toilet, she would race into the bathroom and pee in her litter tray just to prove a point that it was HER territory not ours :oops: :lol:

I personally think that male rabbits are more docile (if neutered), but females have more personality :D

Amy

I've never had a real cuddle bun. But of the rabbits I have, the females are more friendly. Melanie comes and pesters for food and nose rubs. If Michelle's feeling brave she'll come over for nose rubs and if I don't pay enough attention to Wallace she bites me until I do!! Zinzan hangs off my trouser legs until I give her a love!

I only have two, Charlie was a mummy's boy until we got Poppy, now he only harasses me for food but he does let me have cuddles. Poppy is a big softie, she'll sit on the sofa with us and will let you cuddle her for ages- she's hard to get near outside though.

Out of my 2 Honey is the most cuddly she grooms us and loves her cuddles, Harley has got better but hates being picked up he has just started to lick us but is not the most cuddliest.

Out of my three house buns the females are definatly the most affectionate, Sweet Pea will jump on my lap and groom me, I can hold her and cuddle her no problem.

Back