• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Unhappy buns...

RachelF

New Kit
I have just taken on two more bunnies, a pair of Netherland Dwarf brothers. I collected them yesterday - it was the usual story of parents buying them for the children, the children lose interest so the parents don't want them either. I don't think they have had much attention up to now (they are about a year old) and they just seem sad. :cry:
I took them for a check up with the vet yesterday (traumatic day for them) because one has a dental problem, and needed his teeth clipped badly, but other than that and dirty bums they were in good health. They are eating and drinking, but like I say, they just seem sad.
I have given them lots of toys, the opportunity for exercise, lots to chew on... but they just don't seem interested. Do you think it's just the trauma of coming to a new home? Anything else I can do for them?! Any suggestions gratefully received!
(Sorry for the long post!)

What with coming to a new home, a vets visit and attention they are probably unused too I am not surprised they are timid. They just need time.

Can I suggest adding a probiotic to their water for a couple of weeks, not only will it elp with the diahorreah but it will help boost their immune systems which will be suffering from the stress by replenishing their good gut flora.

Well done for taking them on :D

Thank you!
I wouldn't say they are being timid though. They don't run away, they hardly even go in their nest box to hide away. They let me stroke them, and sit there and watch me.
I can't wait until they are frolicking like my other two - just want them to be happy! But yes, I get your point, have to give them more time!

Yes definately the tiem thing. Sounds liek they havent even started to exlore their new surroundings and scenting it? With a little time they will start to do that and then will be confident that that is theirs and they can enjoy :D
Maybe a big run and lots fo toys - esp if not used to that - is all a bit overwhelming for them - 'so much to scent/own, so little time' pops into my head :lol:
Can you just sit and play with them/clean out their litter trays etc with them about so they can get to know you ? and get into a routine that they understand and get used to.
Sure that woth two other buns and experience you know abotu most of this anyway, just nice to have others saying the same things that may be on your mind :D
Well done you for rescueing them :D lots of bunny love to them all :love:

Are you planning on bonding all four too? Or keeping the two pairs separate?

Good luck and keep us posted :D

I got the little buns, now named Wicket and Tibo (after Ewoks!) out in the run this afternoon, and they absolutely came to life! :D They were having a whale of a time exploring - I was sat in there with them and they would jump up on me and dig at my coat, and generally used me as a climbing frame. They are so utterly adorable.

No, emjay, I'm not planning to introduce the two pairs. My new little boys are Netherland Dwarfs, and the other two are quite large Rexs, and very feisty, so I'd be worried about the boys getting squished!

Now I just have an unhappy piggie to sort out, but I'll leave that for another post...!

Back