• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

HELP - Wet Faced Bunny

Shellar

Warren Scout
Disney has had a wet face for a couple of days. I put it down to her drinking from her bowl and the weather being cold and her not drying out. My friend came round tonight, she is a vet nurse, and thinks it may be her teeth. We had a look but they seem ok.
I'll take her to the vets first thing tomorrow but any ideas.....??

CIMG0357.jpg

Is it coming from her eyes?

With teeth problems they tend to dribble under the chin unless its tooth *root* problems which affect the eyes by blocking the tears ducts, causing them to run. These are detectable by X-Rays.

I've just had a look, i've got her in for the night, and it doesn't seem to be from the eyes. I thought it would start to dry out being inside but it hasn't got any better:cry:

it seems to be around her nose and mouth. It isn't just wet, i think it
smells a bit weird. You know, kind of not wet rabbit smell, but poorly.......!

Does she know how to drink from a bottle? It may be worth cleaning and drying her up and then seeing if it becomes wet again without the possibility of it being from her drinking.

She was really poorly last year with snuffles and head tilt. I moved her to the bowl then because it was easier for her. They have a bottle in the hutch aswell incase the bowl runs out. She is a big drinker.
I think i'm going to leave them both upstairs in the kitchen tonight, see if she drys up overnight at all.
I feel really bad that I didn't think it was serious, she is my poorly bunster:cry:

Ah, if she has a history of snuffles its probably best to get her checked over tomorrow and onto some antibiotics if thats what the vets thinks it is.

One of my bunnies has snuffles at the minute and the poor love keeps sneezing.

I took Disney to the vets only last month because she was sneezing loads. She was put a weeks worth of antobiotics but obviously hasn't worked!
If its not one, its the other!!!
I'll get her in the vets first thing, hopefully my usual vet will be back in.
Thanks for your help Sooz
xxx

Did your vet use Baytril? It may be worth asking for Septrin to try and knock it on the head...tastes better and usually more effective.

Offer her probiotics in her water to help her gut combat the negative effects of the antibiotics.

Hope she is OK X

Yeah it was Baytril. i'll ask about Septrin, thanks. I'll get some probiotics when im at the vets. Hopefully get her sorted. I think she suffers from SAD, she ok in the spring and summer, winter hits and she is ill again. I think she should be a house bunny!!

I took Disney to the vets this morning. The vet has given her a trim to take away all the manky fur. She is on bayril 1ml once a day for a week. She checked her teeth but them seem fine. I'm to keep an eye on her eating, but last night she was the first to dive on the food bowl and greens?! Eyes are ok so we are to monitor the eating to see if its the back teeth. If there are no improvements next week the vet will put her under and check the back teeth properly.
Bless my little Disney she was such a good girl:love:

Hi, I had similar problem last week and it turned out that it was back molar had made a cut in my buns tongue. My vet will do a conscious dental so tidied him up but I have to take him back in 3 weeks so he can be knocked out and given a thorough look at.

I hope Disney is better, Homer improved within 12 hours and stopped the dribbling.

Back