• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can't seem to make Jen happy anymore..

Becki xX

Warren Veteran
I'm going to sound so soft, but its really getting to me. I just cant seem to make Jen happy anymore :( She changed so much when she came to live with us, and became such a happy, lovely rabbit - Almost unrecognisable from what shes turned into recently. She lived in a 5x2 hutch in the shed when she was a foster, she was so happy & bubbley, and I thought that moving her into the massive hutch & giving her a friend would make her even happier. Apparently not. Shes seems unhappy, doesnt want to know me any more, and bullies Rhia no end. I feel like I'm doing something wrong but I just cant pinpoint what?! I thought it might be because she's poorly (she has bouts of suspected pasturella) but the vet & I have literally gone down every road and cant find anything which could explain her behaviour. Its hard to explain all in one post, but if you've got to the end of this & are still awake, Thank You :D Xx

Aww hun I don't see how you are making her unhappy. Its awful when you are doing your best but they just don't seem right. You are a wonderful bunny mum though. Do you think maybe she just prefers being a single bun? xxx

Well Charlotte she is on her own now & she still isnt happy! I absolutely put everything into giving them happy lives - and when its not good enough it just feels like your missing something :( Thing is, before - I barely saw her because Till was so poorly that Jen was fed, watered and let into garden, and she was really happy! Now im giving her everything and she's just depressed?!!

a couple of my buns dont really appreciate my company. so they get the minimum and left to their own devices. i know you dont necessarily want another bun, but would she be happier with a male? x Jess

I have to say I have had quite a few bunnies who just want me to lave them the hell alone....and not even because I was going to do anything unpleasent to them.

Generally they are female :rolleyes:

Is she still in the big hutch?

It's just that I know a few peoples buns who don't like a lot of space it kind of scares them they like to be in small areas where they can feel safe.
Sounds stupid I know coz we like to give them lots of space, my kitchen is quite large but all the buns I've had hate being in there.

Not sure if that's any help?

Awww Jen still loves you! She likes having cuddles with you :)

But I know what you mean... put Tia in the hutch without the run and she's much happier now?! :? Strange rabbits :lol: Maybe when you move if they don't bond get her a smaller hutch like what she used to have?

You're a brill bun mum, don't be so hard on yourself :D

I suppose it might just be me that she isnt best keen on, although i'd have expected her to decide this when we got her, rather than love me then months later decide she doesnt :roll: Jess, We've already resigned ourselves to the fact that we're going to have to have another - as Rhia is desperately lonely. But atm we cant really afford a friend for her (not only in cost, but time etc), let alone Jen. Missy, (Sorry I dont know your name :oops:) I guess you might be right - I'm going to get her a hutch in between her old one & the one she is in now when we move..Hopefully that will help her :roll: Bunnies eh?! X

I agree with everyone that it could be the space. Not all rabbit appreciate bags of open space. Maybe she feels threatened/vunerable. If poss I would put her back in the smaller hutch to test this theory...

Could it also be that shes "matured" ? Sometimes we rescues/fosters they can seem like little wallflowers until they gain confidence and find their feet and the next minute they are demons! (dennis?:rolleyes: :lol: )

Could also be territorial behaviour? The hutch was hers and she didn't have to "fight " for any resouces but now shes sharing...

Also agree with Sooz that females tend to be more noughty and less affectionate than males (or at least in my case I have found this).

Not all rabbits like human company but the thing that strikes me as odd is that she was ok with you before :?

Not all rabbits like human company but the thing that strikes me as odd is that she was ok with you before :?

Thats whats I think too :? She couldnt have matured as she was over two years old when I got her. Shes actually not sharing her hutch, its all hers...Couldnt let Rhia in there even after a good scrub, she cant help herself from attacking her X

I think by matured it was meant she was more confident and secure in her surroundings as she had adapted to them, as opposed to matured in the traditional sense of the word.

Could it just be attention seeking? Now she knows that Rhia exists, she's decided to be a stroppy miss because she wants you to herself?
Not all buns will get on of course, maybe she's just happier on her own :)

Missy, (Sorry I dont know your name :oops:) I guess you might be right - I'm going to get her a hutch in between her old one & the one she is in now when we move..Hopefully that will help her :roll: Bunnies eh?! X

Hi :wave:
It's Deborah, I know these bunnies are hard work we give them the best they can have and they still aren't happy.

Have you tried the usual thing - bribing them with treats for affection -
I'm sure she'll love her mummy if she has the treat tub with her everytime she visits :lol: :lol:

becki you are a fantastic bunny mummy!
when youve had cam on to show me bunnies they look nothing but happy, content and relaxed around you!
afraid no advice other than its deffo not you - she loves you!!

I think by matured it was meant she was more confident and secure in her surroundings as she had adapted to them, as opposed to matured in the traditional sense of the word.

Thanks Sooz, thats exactly what I meant I just couldn't think of another word to use :rolleyes: :oops: :lol:

I've owned rescue rabbits that have been really nervy and needy and then a few months in they've "found their feet" and they are stamping at me and growling :rolleyes: :lol:

Back