• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hay storage

Pink Badger

Warren Scout
I was wondering what everyone stores their bales of hay in ?

I've tried several things but still seem to have hay and straw all over the place. I need something with a lid, or the cats sleep on the hay.
I'm thinking of trying a dustbin next. Anyone use these?

I store my hay in a large rubbermaid tub. It fits a little more than 3/4 of a bale. Keep in mind, my bales are large as I get them direct from a farmer. You can get a tub like that at pretty much anywhere that sells home goods. I have one that has latching handles.

I use a Keter plastic garden storage box from B & Q. Was about £40 but it fits a whole bale in. I also use dustbins in the sheds for more hay storage :D

I have looked at the hay bale bags before but they seamed quite expensive.
I actually have one of the green garden storage boxes in the garden already but it's full of the kids balls and garden stuff. That said my children cause almost as much mess as the hay so maybe there's no hope for me.

I used to keep the hay and straw in hay bags:

https://www.thehayexperts.com/product_info.php?cPath=4_21&products_id=269

But now, i just keep them in the container they come in. It was too much hassle to keep filling up the hay bags. I had to do it nearly every day.

I keep my 'nice' hay in those bags like the timothy and the bog standard hay from bales stays in the bags they come in, in the shed, seems to stay nice and dry, does make a bit of a mess mind.

I use a Keter plastic garden storage box from B & Q. Was about £40 but it fits a whole bale in. I also use dustbins in the sheds for more hay storage :D

I use one of those too they are the perfect size for a bale.

I was wondering what everyone stores their bales of hay in ?

I've tried several things but still seem to have hay and straw all over the place. I need something with a lid, or the cats sleep on the hay.
I'm thinking of trying a dustbin next. Anyone use these?

I use my brown wheelie bin, fits a bale of hay perfect and always stays dry:D

I hadn't thought to use a wheelie bin.
I will definitely try this, especially as the council will let you have extra brown ones for free.

Back