• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Any ideas for multiple piggie accomodation in a shed

janice

Wise Old Thumper
For the past 4 years ARC has had a shed for its piggies. I initially had 12 outdoor 4 foot wooden hutches in it, these were not new at the time coming from a breeder of rabbits who was upgrading her accomodation. They were adapted at the time to fit the available space we had. As time went on many of these developed rotten areas in the floor due to the reduced air circulation in the shed. They worked well, were easy to clean but I never felt ideal as doing a terminal clean often left them requiring to be left to dry for days on end in the winter.

These were eventually replaced with indoor cages which are really good as they can be washed out and terminally soaked in a variety of sterilising agents. However they are a pain when it comes to normal cleaning out of trying to get piggies out for viewing as the shed sometimes needs to be emptied to get to the cage at the bottom.

I have looked at the option of C&C cages but access to them would I think be restricted. I am now looking at the option of plastic 'kennels' like the metal ones which are used in the vets. The shed is 9 x 6 foot with a stable door in the middle of the long side.

Does anyone else have any ideas or suggestions what could be used and where to purchase them from.

depends if you want to house single piggies, pairs or groups really - I line my wooden hutches floor and half way up the walls with fablon, so they are really easy to disinfect with spray bleach mix every time I clean (just a 15 min soak kills fungal spores and mites - I dry them with flannels and kitchen roll) I bought indoor double hutches 2x4 from happyhutch, which come assembled apart from the legs needing attaching. The main thing is to have a dehumidifier running every day, or they'll get fungal infections, particularly in hutches.

Hiya

Is fitting shelves for the indoor cages a possibility if access is the only problem with them?

Edited to add, perhaps on sliders like drawers have so that they can be pulled forward?

depends if you want to house single piggies, pairs or groups really - I line my wooden hutches floor and half way up the walls with fablon, so they are really easy to disinfect with spray bleach mix every time I clean (just a 15 min soak kills fungal spores and mites - I dry them with flannels and kitchen roll) I bought indoor double hutches 2x4 from happyhutch, which come assembled apart from the legs needing attaching. The main thing is to have a dehumidifier running every day, or they'll get fungal infections, particularly in hutches.

I could line the floors with fablon or lino. The size issue is always difficult as I never know what I am going to be asked to take in. Some weeks it is groups others it is singles boys.

A dehumidifier is a good idea, however space is limited if I have to get all my supplies as well inside. The solar power will not run a dehumidifier, it will run lighting, a fan in the summer and also a greenhouse tube for a few hours each day in the winter.

Hiya

Is fitting shelves for the indoor cages a possibility if access is the only problem with them?

Edited to add, perhaps on sliders like drawers have so that they can be pulled forward?

I like the slider shelf idea that way the indoor cages would work better and the piggies on top of the other cages wont feel every movement of the lower ones as currently happens.

Back