• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Upset....

sezzalee

Warren Scout
I have come to the conclusion that my rabbit really doesnt like me. Mainly because I have to do things to him that he's not very keen on, like its me who always has to fish him out from behind the BBQ, and who has to put him away at night, im also the one to take him to the vets, give him antibiotics etc...

But last night I was trying to get him out from behind the BBQ - AGAIN - and he made a horrible sort of growling noise at me. I no it sounds very petty but I think he doesnt like me. If he is inside he will often come and sit on my lap, not for very often, he seems to prefer my o/h - because he doesnt do anything he doesnt like!!

Does anyone have any advice to get round this anger at his bunny mummy phase? :(

My bunny called Mallow didn't like me much. He ran away everytime I tried to stroke him. I got advice from this forum which was to hand feed him & it worked brilliantly. After a couple of days he was much more friendly & after a week he would let me stroke him.

Don't take it too personally is my advice.
The growling noise is just because he feels threatened - he wants to hide behind the BBQ because he probably feels safe there, so when you come to turf him out he's having a strop.

Personally I love stroppy rabbits. I have a nethie who can be an evil little whatsit sometimes, but I just find it cute to see such a little ball of fluff with such attitude.
I also have a stroppy frenchie, but again her stroppiness just makes me smile.

I can understand how you feel though - I remember one of my rabbits giving me a really nasty bite (my fault 'cos I'd handled another rabbit before) and I remember sitting down and crying thinking how ungrateful she was.....obviously one of my bad days.

Maybe you should take the same approach a parent does with a wilful child - love them unconditionally, perservere, and smile about their antics when their not looking:lol:

Don't take it too personally is my advice.
The growling noise is just because he feels threatened - he wants to hide behind the BBQ because he probably feels safe there, so when you come to turf him out he's having a strop.

Personally I love stroppy rabbits. I have a nethie who can be an evil little whatsit sometimes, but I just find it cute to see such a little ball of fluff with such attitude.

I can understand how you feel though - I remember one of my rabbits giving me a really nasty bite (my fault 'cos I'd handled another rabbit before) and I remember sitting down and crying thinking how ungrateful she was.....obviously one of my bad days.

Maybe you should take the same approach a parent does with a wilful child - love them unconditionally, perservere, and smile about their antics when their not looking:lol:

great attitude - bunnies are SO like naughty toddlers it's amazing :lol: However I would wear gloves and a fleece jacket if I was in danger of being bitten by a rabbit, although children can give a nasty bite and kick at the same time too :rolleyes: It is upsetting but it doesn't mean they hate you - just means they hate being interfered with (and good mummys HAVE to interfere for their own good :roll: )

I have come to the conclusion that my rabbit really doesnt like me. Mainly because I have to do things to him that he's not very keen on, like its me who always has to fish him out from behind the BBQ, and who has to put him away at night, im also the one to take him to the vets, give him antibiotics etc...

Are you also the one that brings him treats and fresh hay etc?..... Hand feeding is a FAB idea too... it'll take tiem but he'l come to you for them eventually and learn that you are all abtu good things too... I use treats to bribe mine into their cage at night and when I go out etc... they still get skittish sometimes but it does work...

Def perservere and spend soem tiem when you arent there to taek him to the vets or put him back in his run etc... that way he will see other thinsg that you do too :D

Mine follow me roudn for treats now and come to 'ask' for them etc... they know they are kept by me. I am too the one that administers drugs or takes them to the vets of puts them in their cage. But my partner only does the good things, but so little that its me that does the good and 'bad' things. And they do remember the good things rather than the bad :D

Hope spme of that helps.. let us kow how it goes :D

hi i can totally sympathise with how you feel sometimes i think dillion hates me as he's always biting and scratching and then he'll come and give me a cuddle and i think it's all worth it.
Dillion is almost 2 now (well in feb) and i still get bitten (not as much) i have leraned to wear long sleeves and high necks and i hand feed him a lot and his bad days are less than they used to be so i know i'm winning him round but it takes alot of patience and sometimes (like me ) you just have to accept that you have a very strong willed rabbit and everything is on his terms i.e i don't go to him for cuddles he'll come to me and he'll excercise when he's ready thank you very much and if mummy doesn't like that well it's to bad :lol:
give it time i'm sure it'll settle down

Same here :D When Buu stamps her foot, grunts at me and ignores me im like :love: :love: :love: :lol: I think its the cutest thing in the world :oops: :lol:

i love Alvin cus hes a wilful little monster, think louise at the rescue called him fiesty... (bet that werent the word she was thinking at stupid o'clock in the morning when he was picking fights with Jubilee). i think id get bored with a cuddly bun.. the dog is clingy and it annoys me.. the bunny is mean and im obsessed by him..... i dont understand it myself :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

oh and Alvin has decided he likes biting my ankles when im in the kitchen... just this week started doing that!!!

My rabbits has a thing against my father, way back when she was overweight and suffred from a messy bottom he was always the one who held on to her on her back while I cleaned her off. It was far from ideal but the only way it could be done.

But as I'm the one that feeds her everyday she's never held on to a grudge with me, ok she's always a little grumpy with me when we get home from the vets, but food always wins her back over :rolleyes:

As others have suggested hand feed him some of he favourite treats everyday and he'll soon warm up to you ;)

When I want to put Scamp to bed I rattle his treat ball and he gets in himself. Try having feeding time straight after bedtime and get him to associcate rattle = food.

If he can't hop back in his hutch himself try adding a door to the run or teach him to jump in the carrier instead :)

Maybe get him a tunnel and block off the bbq if him squeezing behind is an issue :)

Tam

If my mums about then dumpling and treacle always go to her and not me.....she likes to give them treats when I'm not looking :roll:
Hand feeding helped alot with Meggie as she was really hand shy when I got her also she learnt that it wasn't just bad things that happen when I'm around. If you have a run or a room you can sit in with him then he'll also get used to you that way.

I also give my to treats when they go in the hutch on there own, saves the stress of chasing them round the garden, All i do now is lift the run up and shout bedtime and they both jump in there hutch and wait for there treat:D

I've tried everything suggested with one of my rabbits, but she still avoids me. My nethie will sit with me, loves his nose rubs and plays ball with me, Tish, the female, just runs away from me. :lol: But she's Tosh's companion and she doesn't avoid him, so I suppose that's okay - but frustrating

Thank you for your advice, I didnt get to read it till this morning when i came into work - because clearly I am a busy person - but tonight I shall try sitting with him and feeding him by hand. I think he acts quite like a spoilt child he will act up when he wants attention.

I am the one who gives him hay and his dinners which he gets overly excited about so i'll try and make it more obvious its me whose doing it, :lol:

Buns cant live with them, cant live without them!

oooooh such a cutie !!! :love:

I too have a sulky bun who likes the attention and gives me the cold shoulder when things dont go his way... so cute to watch tho and he knows i'll go to him for 'make-up' time :lol:

:lol: D'ya know, I used to feel like Bertie hated us, for the same reasons as you Sezzalee, but I adopted this atitude ^ and whenever he has his growls or strops (which are less and less as he realises they don't change anything!) we laugh and tease him about it, gently of course. It's just his way of communicating how he feels right then. I think it's amazing that these creatures can communiate to us how they feel and I realy love that in him.
If your bun is sitting on your lap then you have little to worry about really :D

:wave: Like alot of people have said on this thread, I love my bun's stroppiness. He can be so grumpy, like he got out of his hutch on the wrong side or something:lol: We have one very cuddly bun and I love him to bits but I adore Billy's moody behaviour, it adds to his character and I love him all the more for it:lol:

if its just me and him in the living room he will come and cuddle up to me but if my other half is in there too he prefers to cuddle up with him - damn favoritism!! :lol: Men!

I used to think wallace hated me at first because she used to avoid me. Then when she'd settled in she'd nip my back if I was sitting on the floor. I realised it was attention seeking.

Now we're good friends and I love to see her being stroppy til she gets her own way!:D She's like me!!:rolleyes: :lol:

Melanie growls when I pick her up. It's a battle of wills at the moment. I'm determined not to let it put me off because she is a baby giant and I will need to be able to handle her well when she's full grown.

Back