• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help help - im not sure if Daisy has given birth - she has blood all over her face!

Don't panic, I'm no expert but it may just be the birth fluid, don't touch her or her nest until someone gives you some proper advice

BUMP

No - she has had them and they are all wiggling away!
Just shone a small torch in her bed!
Yay for Daisy!
I will leave her be now
x

Just leave them all alone apart from the essentials now until tomorrow when you will need to check they are all OK....

Oh and dont make a habit of shining a torch on them, its not good for their eyes.

Its so cute!
My daughter gave her a little cuddly rabbit this morning and daisy has pulled that into her little den aswell - probable to snuggle with! Its nearly the same size as her though!

How do i check them?

Wait until tomorrow morning then when you feed mum and she is out of the nest rub your hands thoroughly into her soiled litter to disguise your smell.

Gently open up the nest and check each baby over one at a time. They should all be pink, warm and wriggling with little full 'pot' bellies. If they are blue or cold or without pot bellies its a sing mum isn't caring for them properly as is if you can hear them making a noise....they should be quiet if they are being fed.

Remove and dead babies and cover the nest back thoroughly to make sure they are warm. Do not have them outside the nest for long and ak sure your hands are warm too.

Do not let mum see you with them.

Thanks very much for your advice.
I will keep you posted, fingers crossed they will all be fine.

Well, i checked them all this morning and i just kept on counting and counting!
I counted 10! Some of them have their daddies markings on them - awww so cute!
Anyway - they were nice and pink and warm but some of them are a lot smaller than the others.
Will have to wait and see.
How often should i check them do you think?
I really appreciate your advice - thanks all!

Leave them alone for a few days now unless you hear crying ;) but just part the nest at mums feeding time to check they are still alive.

Yes, it was an accidental mating.
Charlie has now been neutured and Daisy will be spayed in a few weeks when she has recovered.
What am i going to do with 10 babies?
Anyone want a rabbit! hee hee:roll:

Morning!
I have briefly checked the babies today and they still seem to be warm (didnt check them individually)
My only concern is that Daisy has made her nest in one of those cat pyramid homes and as they feed their young standing up, im not sure if she has the room.
Im not sure if i should move the nest into her large indoor hutch.
What do you think? Is that a bad move?

Hi,

Wow 10 babies! That'll cost a fortune to get them all spayed/neutered and vaccinated!!!

My initial thought would be leave the nest where it is, don't move it as it may upset mum.

Nicola

Back