• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What to do for the best for Barley?

As some of you may have read I lost Dolly at the end of last week, all very suddenly.

My attentions have now moved to Barley.

For some background information Barley and Dolly did not live together, but their runs were side by side with no gap in-between (I tried to bond them but it wasn’t exactly a marriage made in heaven and Barley bit Dolly it was quite nasty and I didn’t try to bond them again).

Do you think Barley will miss Dolly even though they didn’t live together? I haven’t noticed much of a change in him in the last few days.

Would Barley bond with another rabbit enabling them to live together? (He is now nearly 5 years old and has always been a single bun).

I’m not saying I’m going to get another bunny, the reasons being below but I guess I just wanted to chat about it with other rabbit knowledgeable people.

The reasons for not getting another rabbit:
#1 - I don’t have my own place – I live with my parents (I’m 30 – sorry but things went a bit wrong last year when the company I worked for closed down and we all lost out jobs – I had to move location to where my new job was), they are happy for me to have rabbits (large garden and patio) but are *planning* on emigrating *perhaps* within the next year.
#2 – I earn something in the region of the average national wage – but this would only earn me enough to pay rent on a one bed flat – not really suitable for rabbits!
#3 – My parents have said that when they leave the country I can rent the 3 bed flat they own (reduced rate of course) – suitable for rabbits as could have a rabbit dedicated room – but do I trust that they will actually do this come the time?
#4 – even if my parent’s don’t emigrate I can’t live there forever!

I want to do the best for Barley and selfishly for myself also! Perhaps I haven’t done things right in the past (2 single rabbits etc).

Essentially I can’t get another rabbit unless my parents agree to it, and a rescue centre agrees to the living situation!

I don’t mean to be replacing Dolly but it just seems so empty out there with just the one of them! :(

I know there’s no definitive answer but opinions +ve or –ve would be good.

Thanks for taking the time to read all of this.

Hannah

Aww its so hard to know what to do for the best, So sorry to hear about Dolly :cry: If Barley doesnt seem bothered, I think I'd leave it a while. Is there a rescue you can take him to to actually choose a friend for himself? That way, you wont end up with two seperate buns - so any changes that happen (re where your living etc) will only be the same as having one bunny, if that makes sense? :) Good Luck on whatever you decide! Xx

Back