• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How do I do bunny boarding?

toffee

Mama Doe
I was just reading that other thread about setting up a rescue...
I've fancied offering holiday boarding for a while (on a small scale).

I'm moving house in february so anticipate having a bit more space and thought it would be nice to offer holiday boarding for rabbits and other "small" animals for a small fee. I just thought about advertising at work and at my local vet.

Is there anything in particular I would need to do/have to do this?

INSURANCE!!!!

Contracts stating your terms and conditions and what happens in case of an emergency...especially with regards to vet treatment and reclaiming veterinary expenses.

I've already thpught about T&Cs. I work at Trading Standards so no probs there!!

I'll look into insurance - What kind of insurance is it? At what level? I assume that's to insure against my liability if something goes wrong.

My pets will be boarding over Christmas and they are going to a place which has been set up through a franchise for The Bunnery. Perhaps you could look into that and see if they are looking for people to set up business in your area.

My pets will be boarding over Christmas and they are going to a place which has been set up through a franchise for The Bunnery. Perhaps you could look into that and see if they are looking for people to set up business in your area.

I will investigate! Thanks!

We board small pets in the area you are in and I would advise at the very least you have good insurance for loss, control, and theft. Good luck setting it all up, it is not cheap to set up a good boarding business but very worthwhile if it goes well.

I will investigate! Thanks!

I remember reading an article in the paper about the Bunnery Franchise at the time you needed quite a few thousand pounds to buy into it for all the equipment, I think they use the stainless steel cages like at the vets.

Coincidentally my o/h saw an advert for the Bunnery in one of the national papers he was reading yesterday.

yeah go for it cause there so much enjoyment in it
....but only thing is i do a rabbit check to make sure there healthy cause you have your own to consider passsing anything on to them as well and like mites of fleas you can never see, so i have the mite ect power i like to shake over them before they go in the summer house just in case. and im very strick on the injections bring their certificates with them,cause iv had a few what been cought out for lying that they have had them when they dont even know the names of the vaccination :rolleyes:

Yep, ditto the vaccination situation. Insist on the production of an up to date vaccination certifcate for all animals that require them. I even ask for them for the ferrets that come here. Also make sure they are checked before the owners try to put their pet in a hutch/cage etc as too late once they are in it if there is something wrong. You will also need an isolation/quarantine area should a pet fall ill and 24 hour access to a good small pet savvy vet.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice guys. I'm waiting for a quote for the insurance and may set up on a very small scale beginning of next year. :D

I was thinking of making a form for people to put all pet details on such as breed, age, existing medical conditions/treatments etc. Also for them to sign to confirm that they will pay for vet treatment on return if it was necessary. My local vet will issue an invoice anyway to be paid later so if I take animals who use them it's possible to get them to settle straight with the vet.

Back