• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Something is wrong with my bunny U/D He's gone :(

xSarahx

Warren Scout
My little man has been very quiet all morning. Quite lethargic & wanting to be on his own. His ears are warm but his body temperature seems slightly down. He's had gut statis twice before, & he's moulting at the moment so I've been checking that his tummy hasn't been getting bloated. His tummy doesn't feel hard, but he seems to have the other gut stasis symptoms ie. not eating etc. I can't see if he's pooped much as he shares his trays with his wife. He's been eating his usual diet up until now of lots of hay, a few handful of A&P, carrots, celery etc.
He does go out in the garden & I've been having a nightmare getting rid of the cherry leaves from next door as he tries to eat one. Could he have found one & poisoned himself? The last time he was outside was last night.

He's grinding his teeth in pain & so I'm going to take him to the vet whatever.

Any help or info greatfully received.

Sxx

Last edited:
Definitely get him to the vet asap.
My buns are like this from time to time - just stop eating and don't want to move around.
I give them 2 mls of infacol and some cooled boiled water to start with, along with some tummy rubs, then annoy them so that they keep moving.
I repeat this for two hours and if they're no better it's off to the vets. Usually it's just a bit of wind and the movement helps to get rid of it.
Otherwise they may need gut motility drugs and a painkiller.
It may be his teeth that's causing him pain as well? Does he have a history of teeth problems?
I'm sure the vet will be able to help. Good luck and I hope he feels better soon.

I would take him straight to the Vets as he is obviously in pain :cry:

As you say he has had previous episodes of stasis I think your Vet needs to look at possible causes such as a Dental problem. Reduced GI motility/Stasis is often a secondary symptom of another problem

Hopefully your Vet will administer pain relief/gut motility stimulant/ fluids to your Bun

Please let us know how you get on

Janex

Thanks for your replies. Vets at 11.40am so fingers crossed.
He hasn't a history of teeth problems, but he always grinds them when he's had gut stasis before. I just feel for the little guy :( I'm guessing the blockaged could be higher up under the rib cage like the first time he had it. I've given him some Infacol & very gentle tummy rubs but no joy.

Sxx

Oh Sarah,

Not seen you about for ages, I hope you're well?

I am sending lots and lots of vibes for Ludo. XXXX

The vet is keeping him over night so they can give him pain relief, gut stimulants, antibiotics, infacol, & pro-biotic until he starts eating & pooping again.
His teeth are fine, he's not underweight, his breathing & heart rate are normal. His temperature was slightly down as I'd noticed. And although he was stamping (he hates the vets) & was quite alert he was still grinding his teeth from his tummy pain. Apparently his stomach is very dilated :( The vet said he's just one of those buns who's prone to GI stasis, probably due to being a very moulty bun, despite being groomed regularly. Comes with being a house bunny with heating etc.

Anyway, he's in with his wife. I hope he starts eating because he normally won't touch a thing at the vets. It feels really weird them not being here & I miss them already :(
The vet's calling around 5.30pm to let me know how he's doing. I'm keeping my fingers & toes crossed he'll be okay. He's only little.

Thanks for your help & advise.

Sorry for being AWOL, Tree. I’ve been snowed under with work, & I've been meaning to get in touch for ages. Hope you & the family are well?

Sxx

The only thing I can add is to request your vet try him with a course of Zantac (Ranitidine) or Cimetidine (which tastes better IMO).

These act as a PH stabiliser to reduce the level of acidity in the stomach and treat/prevent gastric ulceration which recurrent stasis can be a sign of.

Even if he is not suffering Gastric ulcers currently it can be a key preventative in stopping him from developing them as a side effect of stasis which will only enhance his problems further.

I hope he is feeling better soon.

The only thing I can add is to request your vet try him with a course of Zantac (Ranitidine) or Cimetidine (which tastes better IMO).

These act as a PH stabiliser to reduce the level of acidity in the stomach and treat/prevent gastric ulceration which recurrent stasis can be a sign of.

Even if he is not suffering Gastric ulcers currently it can be a key preventative in stopping him from developing them as a side effect of stasis which will only enhance his problems further.

Thank you, I'll mention it. I'm going to go & see him later to see how he is, & to take him some nibbles.

Sxx

Another possibility with recurrent stasis is E Cuniculi. Unfortunately my bunnies went on undiagnosed for 10 months before finally being treated for it - as a result they have a permanent weakness in their digestive tract. Definitely one to explore.

He's back from the vets & he's ten times worse. I insisted on bringing him home tonight so I can stay up with him. He'd be better now if I'd brought him home & done what i did before :(
They've stuffed him full of fibrex & critical care which has increased the blockage & the gut swelling & he's not pooping at all.
What the heck do i do?
He wouldn't be able to have more meds until midnight anyway.
I am so so worried. :(

Syringe warm water to help liquidise any blockage in his stomach keeping it hydarted and making it easier to pass, flavouring the water with diluted apple& pear baby food makes it more paletable plus soluble probiotic such as Avi-Pro Plus which includes added fiber will help his gut balance.

Gentle circular tummy rubs moving down his body should help to encourage the food to move as will annoying him into running about, cruel as it sounds.

Has he had any Infacol (simethicone) to try and break down the trapped gas?

Why oh why was you not a vet,I would come from manchester too sheffied just for my buns:lol:

Why oh why was you not a vet,I would come from manchester too sheffied just for my buns:lol:

:oops: :oops: :oops:

I have Jane to thank for most of what I know, that and first hand experience of quite a lot of distressing situations.

Sadly my mathematical abilities are not acceptable enough for veterinary standards, believe me it was a career path I looked into ;)

He's gone.

My little man has gone to the bridge.
I tried so hard to do everytihng for him but, whatever they forcefed him with at the vets, I just couldn't get him to comeback after that. His stomach was ten times worse & swollen from when I left him with them this morning. I should have brought him home & done what I usually do which always works., ie. what Sooz said about the water, infacol, tummy rubs & getting him moving. I've been doing this since 7.30pm. But it was too late this time.
Why oh why oh why didn't I just bring him home after his meds? Why did I listen to the vet?
I just want him back so bady. He's my baby. I am broken hearted. I can't imagine never seeing his little cheeky face again. I love him more than anything.

His poor little wife. She's so bewildered. She's never been on her own.
I want him back so much.

I love you little boy. Sleep soundly & remember you will always be in my heart. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Back