• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Anyone bonded a fourth into a trio?

Julia123

Warren Veteran
As title really, it seems like an impossible task...

Am thinking of adding a 4th to balance out my trio - boy and two girls and have the perfect docile foster boy..... BUT one of my girls doesn't like him :roll: he's so placid he just sits and lets them nudge and nip him.

Made some test intoductions and one of my girls was hesitant then snuggled down with him, my boy just sniffed him and then jumped out of the bath, but the other girl was breathing heavily, chasing him, nipping him and was very stressed, she was also growling at him :roll:

I'm not sure if its even the right thing to do, my three are happy and share the affections of my boy, Daisy is grumpy with Nusha and chases her but they kind of have a routine.

Not sure if I am being selfish as I love this new foster boy and would love to keep him.... But now I'm thinking he's such a lovely boy perhaps he desrves a girly on his own without the stress of my Daisy...

My three are free range so neutral territory is tricky - hence the bath.... it would be a very long process....

Opinions welcome please... :) :?

Well im about to add two singles (male and female) into my happily bonded pair (male and female) and hoping it works out just fine. I hope it can work!!

My thread is called much teh same: bonding two singles into a bonded pair - tips welcome!!

Hoping for lots fo advice too - cottonmather is the one to ask me thinks :D

Best of luck :D

Adding any additional rabbit to a group or a pair, will often change the dynamics of a group greatly and can totally alter the pecking order.

Ooh Speedy :love:

I don't have any advice, sounds like she doesn't like him though :?

Yeah Speedy, he's adorable, want whats best for him in the long run though. He's used to being around lots of buns - its my 'princess' who is causing the problems ! :lol:

He is after all a foster and if the right home came up then......

i successfully bonded one of my neutered boys to a pair of unrelated spayed females and hopefully i am going to attempt to add another single boy to the trio that i adopted but i am aware it may be a problem but as long as it is slowly and carefully done i am optomistic that they will become a 4

I recently tried to put a little boy into my girlie trio as he hasn't got a girlfriend yet at the sanctuary and I felt sorry for him all on his own. Lou did it for me as she is really experienced.
Things started off quite promising with the most dominant female going over to him quite quickly and pinching his hay and sitting by him, but the next day she and he went at it hammer and tongs and were swiftly separated.
I guess it depends on how fiesty the rabbits are, but I'm a wimp and won't be trying it again.
I just have to give him extra cuddles when I visit each week and hope he gets a girly soon.

i successfully bonded one of my neutered boys to a pair of unrelated spayed females and hopefully i am going to attempt to add another single boy to the trio that i adopted but i am aware it may be a problem but as long as it is slowly and carefully done i am optomistic that they will become a 4

Ooooh let me know how it goes & tips. How are you planning to do it?

Daisy was a mardy moo with Nush and it took her some time to settle with her, maybe with a bit of time she'll settle with Speedy too. The fact he doesn't retaliate will probably bore her after a while and she'll just get used to him being around.

Daisy was a mardy moo with Nush and it took her some time to settle with her, maybe with a bit of time she'll settle with Speedy too. The fact he doesn't retaliate will probably bore her after a while and she'll just get used to him being around.

I think Daisy has 'issues' :lol: :lol: she growled at me today and flew for my legs :shock: she didn't know what to do when she got there tho :lol: :lol: Bought a tunnel at the Wk end and she's claimed it and was guarding it i think :roll:

If you want a completely neutral space you are very welcome to use our bathroom when we get back. It's quite big but not too big and no where to really run and hide....It seemed to work for my initial two and honeys now being a little madam with poor Rosie, trying to bond them in a bigger space(although honey always checks now to see I'm not looking before she chases Rosie, she knows she's being a BAAAAAD bunny).

No advice really other than a car trip and bannana on the head seems to be working with my trio.......slowly :roll:

Ooooh let me know how it goes & tips. How are you planning to do it?[/QU

I have quite a bit of experience of bonding and all have gone beautifully up to now fingers crossed for after christmas. I usually start about 6+ weeks before the actual bonding begins by swaping toys around between the rabbits meet so that smells are familiar between them and then i use a towel to transfer smells between all the rabbits.I also put the rabbit/s side by side in runs to get them familiar sometimes though not very close at first as this has often caused upset. When i bond i use the neutral bathroom and fill it with new boxes with hay and food in them and scatter food on the floor. When i let them out together they usually go for the food avoiding a major initial fight. I then keep them together full time until moving them to the playhouse the next day or when they seem to have bonded. The best thing is to scrub the housing they will go into if used by the others before as it becomes neutral white vinegar is good and then add the boxes used in the bonding so they all smaell of the group of rabbits.

Hope that is some help pm me if ever need to :D

Back