• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

best way keep bunnys warm from vets

00Geordie

Warren Scout
What is best way to keep my rabbits warm on way back from vets after getting neutered. Is it best to put a hot water bottle under a blanket with a other banket over carryer. I be using public transport and want to keep them as warm as posible.

if you don't have a snugglesafe a hot water bottle in a furry cover is good - that's what I use and the cover is of course washable. I also made a fabric cover for the cat carrier, with just the handle poking through, so it wasn't draughty.

Dont be worried.. will all be okay :D I have been through 3 now and a teeth op besides that... its nerve wracking and doesnt get any easier... make sure you ask abotu pain relief and I prefer glue than staples or stitches for them... (tho they do put a small stitch in and then the glue) they shoudl also have pain relief which wil help that evening.

Can you get a taxi or perhaps a lift from a friend to ease with your worry?

I put an old towel in the bottom of the carrier and keep it very steady on the journey back. You could also use a fleecy blanket. And liek everyone is saying put an old towel or smthn over the carrier too to keep the warmth in.

Also make sure their recovery bed is made up ready. All cleaned and nice soft bedding - again towel or fleecy blanket to keep the woudn clean adn for their comfort. Also makes it easier for you to see any poos and wee :D
I also put a small container or bundle of hay in the corner and wetted greens and use a bowl for water so they dont have to reach for it ( again helps their comfort) jsut keep them quiet that evening as they will be a bit groggy.
Ask for some after care advice at the vets too and they shoudl be gievn some fibreplex to help the gut (they usually taek this easily as it is tasty, if not then add it to soem fav greens)

Best of luck for thurs :D Lots of bunny love from my four bunsters :love:

Been out today to get two hot water bottle with covers that look like a rabbit there so cute only thing not told my boys there pink :roll: . That sould keep them warm on way to vets and back as getting realy cold first thing in morning and late evening.

Back