• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What size hutch for giant rabbit breed?

sdf76

Mama Doe
Please could anyone tell me what is the optimum size of hutch (and the bedding compartment) for a giant breed rabbit as my husband is custom making a hutch suitable for foster bunnies. (we know the standard bunny minimum is 6ft x 2ft x 2ft) Many thanks -Sue

My *personal* opinion is that Giant Rabbits should not be housed in hutches
A shed with permanent run attatched would be my minimum standard

Janex

Giant rabbits should not be kept in hutches at all they are too big, mine have their own room and bed! At a push i would say a shed! They are alot of work so consider everything! They are truly amazing though x x

Please could anyone tell me what is the optimum size of hutch (and the bedding compartment) for a giant breed rabbit as my husband is custom making a hutch suitable for foster bunnies. (we know the standard bunny minimum is 6ft x 2ft x 2ft) Many thanks -Sue

:lol:

Sorry, couldn't help myself :oops:

It is my understanding that giants need a ROOM in a house in which to live; no hutch can be large enough (without looking like a...I don't know what).

My 2 giants are outdoor buns and so have a shed 10 x 6 with constant access to a permanent run (except overnight when they're tucked up in their beds).
I don't think a hutch would be the best option just because of the size you'd need and the difficulty of reaching into it to clean. With a shed you can walk in and sweep out, and there is plenty of room to sit down for cuddles.
You also have room to put in different levels for them and have a clear area for eating,litter trays and sleeping.
I reckon for my set up of a fully insulated shed with the permanent slabbed run and fitting out the inside with lighting and different surfaces cost me around £300.

thanks for giant rabbit hutch advice

Thanks to you all for giant rabbit hutch advice. My husband will continue with the normal hutch for normal sized bunnies and we will consider getting a shed for a giant bunny. We most certainlty would not put a giant bunny in a cramped space. We were just thinking how much bigger we needed to make a hutch than the normal 6 x 2 x 2. But as you say it starts looking odd just at the design stage to have a HUGE hutch, and I definitely think a shed or a wendy house would be a good idea. (Bunnies would have constant access to roam in the garden and access to a secure run when unsupervised.)Thanks again - Sue

Back