• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Silas U/D - test results back

CottonMather

Warren Veteran
The past couple of days weight has fallen off him :? I posted pics of him just over a week ago: ( http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?t=108469 ) and compared to that he is looking skeletal :cry:
We've just been to the vets and are going to get to the bottom of his problem, so I need to keep him on his own tomorrow to monitor his eating/drinking/weeing/pooing and to get a urine sample for wed morning - so here's the question:
Do I keep him in a hutch outside or should I bring him in?
I don't want him to aclimatise to indoor temps too much, cos he'll be going back out, but I don't want him to be cold and lonely with no-bun to snuggle :?

Last edited:
Keep him outside, and keep his friends in his line of sight. If you have a teddy or a heatpad, give that to him. Hope he's ok.

I would keep him indoors
If he has lost that much weight he wont be able to maintain his own body temperature and he could succumb to hypothermia :cry:

Could he have been bullied if he is in a large group of Buns :?

Janex

If he has lost a lot of body weight (and therefor not retaining heat) and is still declining I would bring him in, especially as being seperated from the contact of his friends may well upset him (and cool him) further.

You will not be able to adequately monitor his habits outside either and may miss something important.

Could he have been bullied if he is in a large group of Buns :?

Janex

he is with 4 others, they all snuggle in a ball together - I watch them pretty much all day as their enclosure is directly outside the french windows leading off the front room, so I'm pretty sure he is getting his fair share of food and isn't feeling stressed.

Could you keep him inside next to the french doors so that he can see his pals? Otherwise could you make an enclosure within his enclosure so that they are together but seperate...I have confused myself now :?

I'd go for keeping him in doors, maybe easier to monitor him and the loss of 3 buns body heat could be a bit of a shock. I guess a snugglesafe outdoors would be ok but if he is really thin I wouldnt want to risk it. Hope he's ok.

Yip I would bring him indoors, the coolest room you have. Sending lots of get well vibes to Silas :D

ok, 2nd appt was this morning, and he has gained some weight from being indoors, so I will keep him in...
There was protein in his urine though, which isn't a great sign as it indicates kidney damage suspected to have been caused by EC :?
He had a blood test and is having another (more high-tech) urine test, should have some news on Friday.

Oh no. Hope its not EC! Come on Silas get some pies down you (not literally obviousely). Hope he carries on putting weight on. x

The vet said that if it is EC, that the damage is likley to be irreversable... however, he is fine within himself, so as long as I can keep the weight on him I hope he'll still be a happy bunster...

The vet said that if it is EC, that the damage is likley to be irreversable... however, he is fine within himself, so as long as I can keep the weight on him I hope he'll still be a happy bunster...

Awwwww poor Silas :cry:

Has he been started on Panacur ?
Are you treating the previous 'in contact' Buns with Panacur ?

Sending vibes

Janex

It will be BUT it may only be minor if it hasn't gone on for months ;)

Silas was started on Wednesday and I'll start the others today... will they need 28 days too?

Had yet another long chat with Christobel today re the treatment of 'in contact' Rabbits as I am well confused :oops:

Basically she says if the 'in contact' Buns remain 'in contact' whilst actively infected Bun is on treatment they should remain on treatment for 28 days minimum

If they are no longer in contact with the actively infected Bun then 9 days will suffice. Apparently this is because symptoms only present when the EC Parasite starts to shed spores. If a Bun is asymptomatic then it is assumed that a 9 day course of Panacur will rid him/her of the EC oocyts before the EC lifecycle moves on to the spore-shedding phase

Gawd, I hope that makes sense :?

Janex

Thanks for posting that Jane....thats what Anita told me a couple of months ago but I couldn't remember the ins and outs of it, although I think she said a rabbit that had been in direct contact shold have 28 days in case it had picked up shedded spores and buns in the vicinity would suffice on 9 days :? but as I said it went a bit over my head :oops:

Back