• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bringing a Bunny home

Wispa & Zola

Mama Doe
i know that when you arrive home you are supposed to leave them alone for a little while to settle in, but for how long?

when should i let her explore other rooms etc

The day we bought Grace home - she was 9 weeks - we sort of didnt think things through well enough. We went to Romford to get her a hutch from P@H (NEVER AGAIN btw but thats another story) then we drove straight to lakeside to get Grace - we had seen her the day before and new she had been waiting for a home for 2 weeks and she was looking very depressed as all her siblings had been sold. We were so worried about her we decided to bring her home the next day. Anyway we then took her home - now have you spotted our mistake yet? - P@H hutches come flat packed so we had a hutch and a rabbit but we hadnt been home and put her hutch together BEFORE picking up Grace! - She came out of her box when we got home and she had a wonder around the living room on her own while we kept an eye on her and put together her hutch. We then popped her to bed and left her to settle.

Dont know if that helps

definately want to litter train her!! how long does litter training usually take?

Litter training can vary from rabbit to rabbit - Grace and Louis both took a while and they arent 100% even now but they do the majority in their trays especially peeing

I let Charlie have free roam of the room as soon as we arrived home, we had a litter tray and we started to pick up poos and pop them in teh litter tray as soon as he left them. It took abotu 30 mins for him to get the gist (tho not perfect and he lost it again when coming up time for him to be neutered).. he was about 7 weeks old when we brought him home. Hand reared since his mum had died and was on solids by then.

When we brough Molly home we gave her about half an hour in the cage to settle and then started bonding her with Charlie. It was very successful and that night they stayed together and have done ever since. She was botu 12 weeks old. Litter training was completed due to copying Charlie - again lost omign up to spaying time.

Both Poppy and Benjamin are now separate and are awaiting his neuter before introducing all four.. They were put straight in there temporary beds and I just sat with them most of the evening. Poppy is now fully litter trained after a week by the same method of putting her poos in her litter tray. tho she does lapse when Benjamin is roaming the room - territory marking. Benjamin is a bit slower but this is because he is due to be neutered (he is 17 weeks) and is territory marking the poos whilst Poppy is so close. Both competing for an 'extension' to their space :D

Your newby wil learn to litter train fairly quickly as buns are quite habitual and clean like that, tho sometimes they chose the spot! :shock:. Smaller spaces at first are best and in larger spaces then maybe additional litter trays would help. Someimes we find the odd poo, more some days than others but never any wee, thats alwasy in their tray/that end of the cage. Whilst your newby is gettign to know the surroundings tho he/she (sorry cant remember the sex you said?) there will besome territory poos. Just bear with it and keep puttin them in the litter tray, it will settle :D

Hope that helps :D

Last edited:
New surroundings and smells can be very odd for them. I confined Bobbin to his cage for the rest of the day (I got him home mid afternoon) and let him out for the first time the following day, but then only to one room, too much too soon may feel overwhelming.

You will find that the first time they are out they will sniff things and do a full-body shake (not sure what other people call it) I think this means "ewwww, what a horrible smell!" it's quite amusing and you will see it decrease once they are used to the smells and have scent marked things themselves (using their chin) - also very sweet to watch!

thanks for all your help guys :)

Wispa is a girl

what about me bonding with her, obviously i dont want to force her but should i just slowly introduce my hand or wait till she comes to me

thanks for all your help guys :)

Wispa is a girl

what about me bonding with her, obviously i dont want to force her but should i just slowly introduce my hand or wait till she comes to me

Sitting on the floor and letting her be the boss of how fast to go is a good bet. You can offer her a healthy treat to get her to come close and if she seems accepting of you give a few gentle strokes while she takes the treat.

Lie down and she might sit on you, always funny!

It all just takes time, and whatever you don't just be patient :thumb:

Back