• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How to tell if a buns loosing sight?

Becki xX

Warren Veteran
Am trying to decide whether Jen can see properly or not :? I know she can see light, if its pitch black she'll follow a torch no probs, Just not sure if she can see too well otherwise. Hard, as there other senses are so sensitive. There is absolutely no reaction what so ever to the flicky eye test, but obviously it isnt fool proof...Any other ways you can tell? Would explain a lot if she was :? Xx

I'd be interested to know this too... I've often wondered if Frankie is particularly short sighted. He's very nervy if I don't let him know that I'm there (by speaking to him before trying to pick him up) and he always seems to struggle to find food as fast as Jen does. He gets there in good time, but it always seems to be more by nosing about than by directly heading towards the bowl... :? I asked the vet to check Frankie over last time they went for their jabs and he couldn't see anything obviously wrong with his eyes.

EDIT: sorry Becki, I don't mean to hijack :oops:

I got told last night off sooz n jayne that they scan(head like awaying as to focus)this is what my rew is doing as it is common in the red eye,rickd white

I got told last night off sooz n jayne that they scan(head like awaying as to focus)this is what my rew is doing as it is common in the red eye,rickd white

Yeah, Know about the scanning in rews :) Dont think all buns with sight loss do it though Xx

My doe has a slight cataract in the front of one eyeball.

The only reason I know this is because ONCE she nearly knocked her head off the floor while cleaning her face/ears; if I'd not seen her do this I'd not have brought it up when I was at the vets & I'd not know.

I'd seen the cataract before this incident but thought it was just the way the light was shining in her eye:oops:

Forgot to say; the vet could see her cataract by shining a torch in her eye; I don't know if there's a way you could tell a short/long-sighted bun.

Last edited:
My doe has a slight cataract in the front of one eyeball.

The only reason I know this is because ONCE she nearly knocked her head off the floor while cleaning her face/ears; if I'd not seen her do this I'd not have brought it up when I was at the vets & I'd not know.

I'd seen the cataract before this incident but thought it was just the way the light was shining in her eye:oops:

Forgot to say; the vet could see her cataract by shining a torch in her eye; I don't know if there's a way you could tell a short/long-sighted bun.

Thank You for reply hon, Much appreciated :) Xx

I think bunnies generally have poor eysight, they can still manage really well. Lottie has a caterach in one of her eyes which doesn't seem to be any handicap at all, in fact it helps me to catch her in the run!:lol:

Most animals have poor eyesight anyway and rely on their other senses (smell, sound, touch/whiskers). Rabbits are usually out as dusk/dawn so I'd imagine bright lights would 'glare' their eyes too
http://www.ratbehavior.org/RatVision.htm has a bit at the bottom with images of what they think rats see - would have thought rabbits would have a similar eyesight

Back