• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny affection

sherbert

Young Bun
Just curious about how affectionate peoples buns are.
I have a bonded pair, male and female. Mine have only been inside for a couple of months and they are only 7 months old, so i know they could still be setlling in, but i just wanted to know how long it took other buns to become affectionate.
They HATE and i mean HATE being picked up. I know this is quite normal for buns, but mine really go crazy and i worry they might hurt themselves, or i might hurt them by accident, so i rarely pick them up. I try to put them in a 'trance' every day for a few minutes but they dont seem to be getting anymore used to it. They are not frightened of me though as they happily hop up to me staright after the picking up 'event'.
If i sit on the floor they come up to investigate me but dont settle next to me or on my lap, and if i try and stroke them they move away like they dont like it but dont go far. I think they are generally happy as they follow me everywhere esp for food :roll: and always seem pleased to see me. They dont hide away or run away from me. they will sit on my lap for food but only until its gone.
Im sorry this is so long! and i hope i explained it ok........just wanted some advice on bonding with my buns? any tips ideas?or will they just be ahppy being aloof.
Thanks!

I don't force contact on my rabbits at all, so I had a problem a while back when Maa had to be treated for an abscess, as I just couldn't pick her up :oops: She is the most affectionate of my bunnies though, and really loves to be stroked. Benny is easy to pick up but I think it's mainly because he's terrified - he just looks terrified even when stroked - goes all flat and submissive rather than having Maa's look of 'oooh yeah!' on his face - so I just give him a little stroke when he's eating now, and today was the first day he didn't cringe down when I touched him.....after 2 years :? The girls in the shed - can't even get near them and one of them still acts very afraid if I even move - after 2 years :roll: I'm really not bothered though - what matters to me is if they are happy, and they don't seem to want cuddles off me to be happy :)

Buu doesnt like being lifted so I just dont lift her :D She is still affectionate and loves snuggling and sitting one me :D

I wouldnt put any of my buns in a trance though, from what I have read on here its a reflex they have to try and escape when they are caught by a predator. I dont think there is any point in stressing a bun out by putting them in a trance :D

Edit: Just read your post again and it sounds like they have bonded with you fine :D Is it just that you cant pick them up? Most rabbits hate being picked up so thats pretty normal ;)

I only ever put them in a trance to check nails, bum etc.( i wont if its bad for them:? ) the only reason i want to be able to pick them up is to check things like that......not for my pleasure, i know most buns dont like it :D

I guess i just want them to lay next to me or sit next to me. Its selfish i know. They still dont really lay down outside the crate (dog cage) much, so i guess they're still settling in.

I just want to make them happy. Our guineas are very scared and hate being picked up, and i blame myself for this and feel guilty even though we tried everything to bond with them:? , they are happy to be together eating running etc and squeal for food, but just dont like us! :( I guess i just dont want this to happen to the buns.

Scarlett has only just started showing an interest in me and I have had her a year :lol:

To check my lot I just give them a bunny massage and have a look once they are flopped afterwards :lol: Its a lot easier than picking them up to do it x

Aww don't be so hard on yourself, I'm sure it's no ones fault. Some pets are just quite happy to be on their own.

My rabbit loves his head being stroked and having a body massage but he doesn't particularily like to sit on your lap and he doesn't mind being picked up. He just likes to flop down in his bed or run about his run he isn't overly affectionate and usually only likes to be stroked on his terms or else he gets abit ratty cos he wants to play. :D

Back