• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I'm thinking of starting a rescue centre!!!

LionheadLuver

Warren Veteran
Hi
I'm thinking of starting a rescue centre for rabbits and guinea pigs. I won't be able to start one up for a few years time but I was wondering if it's enough to stanstain a good living? I know you don't do it for money but can you run a centre and still be able to live? I don't think I can do much else for a job and I want my own business, and I want to make a difference in the world, so thought about rescue centres. I really am thinking of running a rescue centre. What are the costs involved? Vets can cost so much so can you strike a deal with them cos you use them so much? Would I have to employ someone to help care for the animals. ie. is it too much work for one person to do? What size area do you need to be able to run a centre?

Erm.....you have to work a normal job to keep it funded. You will lose money on every single rabbit you take in and adopt back out, you have to top it up out of your own pocket.

Most people run a rescue alongside their day job as a hobby.

I dont think you can make a living from running a rescue center :? Not sure if thats what your asking but I would think you would need another full time job to be able to look after all the animals :D

Ok thanks. I meant that you can still surive with running a rescue centre, like being able to pay bills, food etc for yourself. If i did a part-time job, relatively ok paid, with my O/H getting a ok paid job, would you be able to fund a small centre? How many bunnies would you be able to keep? I don't want to work full-time. I would prefer to work part-time.

Ok thanks. I meant that you can still surive with running a rescue centre, like being able to pay bills, food etc for yourself. If i did a part-time job, relatively ok paid, with my O/H getting a ok paid job, would you be able to fund a small centre? How many bunnies would you be able to keep? I don't want to work full-time. I would prefer to work part-time.

Ok I really think you would have to work full time to be able to care for buns you get in. I dont think you can just choose how many buns you have in a rescue, you might end up with 10 dumped on your doorstep in the same day and they could all need vet treatment immediately

I can accomodate between 15 and 17 rabbits at mine and often have another 6 in foster care.

I started at 8 then moved to 14 and onto our current figures as we gained equiptment, donations and sponsorship.

i think there is a lot of things to think about before setting up.
1.How much space you have is a key ie how many rabbits could you house in good quality housing? what sort of life would they have with you if they are with you for a long time.

2. how much per rabbit would you end up spending. ie cost up if each rabbit needs neuter vhd myxi and general health check that in itself is quite a lot and many other rabbits need things like dentals or wounds treating flystrike etc to deal with too so vet fees i think you need a large fund available to you.

3. How will you fund the rescue? will it be donation based in which case setting up as a registered charity can help in some cases. how much can u afford out of wages to suppliment the rescue, how much additional funding will you need?

4. How will you advertise in order for people to know you exist how much money can you afford to put into this?

5.can you deal accuratly with the pains as well as the gains in this scenario ie dealing with ppl who are cruel dealing with rabbits who die or are beyond help

6.do you have a good vet nearby?

7.volenteers to do paperwork, foster, clean outs vet trip pick ups home checks,

8. Feed and clean bedding for all animals including those who may be pregnant or large groups of unexpected animals ie a 15 group intake costs and supplys

9. areas for all animals to get adequet run time and care and space.

i think you need a large amount of money to set up with and then need to be able to sustain the initial outlay.

well i dont run a rescue but i have thought about it and it is a life long ambition.... so ask the people who do run them im sure they will tell you it wud be hard work very expensive but very rewarding if you do set up good for you and good luck xx.

There's been a few forums on this before, but I can't seem to find them right now!

I imagine how much it cost's is very much like "how long is a piece of string"?

Why don't you start with doing a plan, basic cash flow type thing?

List all you expences, both day to day and one off set up costs (don't forget things don't last for ever). Work out what facilities you would need etc... based on a set number of rabbits, guesstimating how many you would take in and rehome each year!

I guess as you have 2 rabbits you know what things cost more of less so that would be a good starting point.

There would be absolutly loads of background work you could get started and answer many of your own questions.

Hannah

To set up as a charity you must have a commitee in place....its a long and arduous process, which is why Happy Hoppers is not registered as one.

Setting up a rescue is something I would not want to do by myself. I would suggest doing some voluntary work at a rescue first and seeing how you get along. You will learn a lot and then hopefully understand exactly what it will cost and require you to do if you do go down this route. You can learn about you approach to the public and how to deal with situations.

If you do set yourself up with a rescue, the most important thing is to set yourself a limit of exactly how many animals or hutches you will go up to as a maximum and do not go over this amount. There are a number of people who get this badly wrong and due to illness, bad weather or family circumstances begin to struglle.

I totally agree with others who have suggested a full time job is required alongside running a rescue, the average ARC bill is well in excess of £1k a month, and that is with very competitive rates. We have no paid workers, we cannot afford them;)

Fund raising is essential and ideally you would need a team who will concentrate on this would benefit any rescue greatly. An eaasily accessible vet or transport is essential, a car is essential for whomever is running the rescue or someone who is happy to drop what they are doing to go out on a mission.

A family / partner who supports what you are doing is a big must :D

i have a small rescue and currently only have one bun of my own and foster two for Sooz.

Dude was ill on Friday night and cost me £160 as i had to get him to the vet at midnight.

That has set me back a LOT as i fund it all myself, no sponsors or anything.

Can you imagine (heaven forbid) having three ill buns in a month for example? :shock:

I would think about maybe fostering first

Although I would love to start a rescue, I find it rather traumatic to part with rabbits that have been here for a while...so it wouldn't really work :oops: :lol:

In the future I would like to run a small sanctuary for very old or disabled rabbits, but work and the O/H will probably spoil that idea :(

Although I would love to start a rescue, I find it rather traumatic to part with rabbits that have been here for a while...so it wouldn't really work :oops: :lol:
(

You could help a rescue by fostering the rabbits which are more difficult to home such as ones with health issues or more elderly ones, this would mean spaces could be freed up within a rescue for more acute cases. You would also get the backing of some rescues with regard to finances.

What about running a bunny boarding place instead, that gives you a small income, but you will still need a proper job. You'll need to have a lot more experience with rabbits and references from rescue centres, too.

Back