• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Just put in an official complaint at the vets- UD, Reply from RWA/F

Sooz

Wise Old Thumper
I have just formally complained about mine and Caspians treatment at the vets yesterday and am horrified to learn that what I suspected all along was infact true....he should have been aneathetised with gas before the lethal injection was given into his abdomen.

I also raised my concerns at being asked to sign a form to dispose of his body whilst he was still dying, that he expressed pain during the 3 minutes it took him to lose consciousness, that his medical record had not been consulted prior to the appointment and that the vet was not present to confirm death had taken place leaving me waiting with his body for ages until I was sure he had gone.

I feel awful for placing Rob in the position that he now has to raise the issue with his boss but whilst it is too late for me and Caspian, I hope other owners will be afforded the respect we were denied in future.

Last edited:
Despite having understanding as to how a rabbit euthanasia is carried out dependant on certain situations I was given no indication that the injection would be given into his abdomen until it was too late...and I could not protest that I wanted him sedated :cry: :cry: :cry:

Really sorry about Caspian. When Pippa was pts I believe her injection was in her ear. I couldn't face watching so the vet, who was really nice, took her in another room. When she brought her body back for me she apologised for having to shave some fur on both ears as they hadn't been able to find a vein.

Very sorry Sooz, quite right to complain.

that is realy awful .

well done for being brave enough to formaly complain

poor you and poor Caspian :( :( :( what an awful way to treat you :evil:

It is so frustrating to be trying to do the right thing and then to find you have inadvertently put a much loved animal through even more trauma.

I even had to ask Rob if he thought it was right to let Caspian go as I received no indication, just indifference, yesterday.

Last edited:
As I said in my PM Sooz, I can really empathise with you :cry:

I think it is admirable that you have expressed your concerns to Rob in order to try to prevent others enduring such a traumatic experience at the hands of the other Vet

:cry: :cry:

Janex

Thank you for all your support and sympathy Jane.

The matter is being broached at the staff meeting and I intend to find out what guidelines have been put into place when I next go in.

In some ways it is probably worse for me as I KNEW what was happening and was sure it was wrong, the fact he never explained what was about to happen to me indicates many owners, with know prior knowledge, may have been none the wiser that this was not how it should be.

I only hope these owners have not been put off euthanasia as an escape route for an animal in pain in future.

Aw Sooz, I'm sure you made the right decision. It's just the awful treatment you and Caspian received that's making you doubt yourself. :cry:

If it's any consolation, I've had doubts and been riddled with guilt about every animal I've had to have PTS. It's a terrible decision to have to make.

That's awful, I'm so sorry :cry: But well done on being so brave and bringing the issue to their attention. Don't feel bad for Caspian he is eternally resting now

Oh no Sooz! Im so very sorry to hear how poor Caspian was pts.

I know sometimes it is the only way to euthanase an animal whose veins have completely collapsed but there is NO excuse for the way the vet dealt with this. He should have explained how and why he had to do it that way and he should have used a gas chamber to sedate Caspian beforehand. I am assuming he was in a rush and couldn't be ***** to use an extra 10 minutes to set up and gas him down. Most small animals hate being gassed and will scream and it can be distressing for them but if done correctly in a proper chamber where they aren't being held down and the gas is inhaled slowly through the air in the chamber rather than a tube/mask over them it is so much better for them.

I really feel for you Sooz :(

I've only ever witnessed my rabbits being pts via an injection in their abdomen!!

The last time various methods were discussed and I asked if she could have gas first but apparently it tastes awful and can make them even more stressed, and the ear veins are often very difficult to find.

To be honest my last bun was so ill she didnt flinch and she needed 2 injections in her tummy, it took about 20 minutes, but during that time I sat in a room alone with her, in tears, but I cuddled her and spoke to her all the time, till she gently drifted off.... it was actually the least stressful of all pts's I've done.

I'm really sorry you had such an awful time, thats the last thing you need when having to say goodbye. :(

I'm so sorry you had such a difficult time at the vets. As if having to make that decision isn't hard enough, the last thing you need is added upset.

Really really sorry Sooz and thinking of you lots at the moment.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Take care and hugs to you.

xx

Im just gutted that what was supposed to be his painfree escape with him slipping peacefully away turned into a drawn out procedure.

I assume he was in a hurry as he left the room before Casp had gone (after getting me to sign the form) and did not return to confirm death had occured.

Both other vets at the practice use gas.

I saw the veins in ONE ear be checked and then because he reached for the syringe assumed that was where it was going....only for him to pull Caspian towards him and inject into the side of the abdomen.

Casp struggled to get away and in my shock I instinctively reached for him to bring him towards me but he ran to me anyway :cry: :cry: He then ground his teeth for at least 3 minutes until he finally lost consciousness.

He was NOT grinding before the injection.

I really urge anyone who has to face the heartache of having a pet PTS to check whta the vet in questions procedure is before it takes place....and I know now there is noway I could leave one of my pets to be PTS without me, I know Casp would have been left alone on the table had I not been there to comfort him.

I am really struggling to come to terms with this.

I've only ever witnessed my rabbits being pts via an injection in their abdomen!!

The last time various methods were discussed and I asked if she could have gas first but apparently it tastes awful and can make them even more stressed, and the ear veins are often very difficult to find.

To be honest my last bun was so ill she didnt flinch and she needed 2 injections in her tummy, it took about 20 minutes, but during that time I sat in a room alone with her, in tears, but I cuddled her and spoke to her all the time, till she gently drifted off.... it was actually the least stressful of all pts's I've done.

I'm really sorry you had such an awful time, thats the last thing you need when having to say goodbye. :(

Yes you are right, but now vets practices can buy/make their own oxygen chambers which can be adjusted to use with gas and slowly release the gas into the chamber which is more discrete and not so stressful for the animal. Sadly alot of practices don't feel it neccessary :(
It really should now be par for the course that ALL vets attend a course on how to find a vein in a rabbit :evil: So many vets still won't attempt it :evil: It is fiddly but without practise :roll: Most rabbits sit perfectly still whilst having a catheter inserted into their ear :(

Im just gutted that what was supposed to be his painfree escape with him slipping peacefully away turned into a drawn out procedure.

I assume he was in a hurry as he left the room before Casp had gone (after getting me to sign the form) and did not return to confirm death had occured.

Both other vets at the practice use gas.

I saw the veins in ONE ear be checked and then because he reached for the syringe assumed that was where it was going....only for him to pull Caspian towards him and inject into the side of the abdomen.

Casp struggled to get away and in my shock I instinctively reached for him to bring him towards me but he ran to me anyway :cry: :cry: He then ground his teeth for at least 3 minutes until he finally lost consciousness.

He was NOT grinding before the injection.

I really urge anyone who has to face the heartache of having a pet PTS to check whta the vet in questions procedure is before it takes place....and I know now there is noway I could leave one of my pets to be PTS without me, I know Casp would have been left alone on the table had I not been there to comfort him.

I am really struggling to come to terms with this.

I am so angry at that man!!! :evil: :censored:
Did the nurse even check his heart? Or were you just left alone?!
Thats disgusting.
Im sending you the hugest hug ((((((*))))))

Back