• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Boy bunnies just don't get on - help please!

Diane

New Kit
Yesterday, 12:32 AM #35
Diane

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I thought that I had 1 boy and 2 girl bunnies when I got them. At about 4 months old, I was very upset to find them one morning in a terrible state - fur everywhere and blood stains. Sure enough, they all turned out to be boys - even the vet had got it wrong! It's now about 2 and a half months since they were all castrated. They have been living in closed proximity to each other during this whole period and I rotate them between cages so that they are familiar with each other's scent.

Every time I have tried to reintroduce the rabbits, it ends up in a real fight with fur flying and the rabbits locking on to each other. I've left them as long as I could stand, hoping that they would sort out the dominance issues and settle down but I seriously think they'd kill each other.

I'm resigned to the rabbits all living in separate cages - any suggestions how to improve the situation would be great (they are outdoor rabbits)

Thanks

Diane

Diane
View Public Profile
Send a private message to Diane
Visit Diane's homepage!
Find More Posts by Diane
Add Diane to Your Buddy List

Yesterday, 01:06 AM #36
jrn1310

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane
I thought that I had 1 boy and 2 girl bunnies when I got them. At about 4 months old, I was very upset to find them one morning in a terrible state - fur everywhere and blood stains. Sure enough, they all turned out to be boys - even the vet had got it wrong! It's now about 2 and a half months since they were all castrated. They have been living in closed proximity to each other during this whole period and I rotate them between cages so that they are familiar with each other's scent.

Every time I have tried to reintroduce the rabbits, it ends up in a real fight with fur flying and the rabbits locking on to each other. I've left them as long as I could stand, hoping that they would sort out the dominance issues and settle down but I seriously think they'd kill each other.

I'm resigned to the rabbits all living in separate cages - any suggestions how to improve the situation would be great (they are outdoor rabbits)

Thanks

Diane

Male rabbits can notoriously be difficult to pair up, others will accept another boy without any problems. When you try to pair them up are you doing this on totally neutral territory?

Spend your money wisely, only spend it in non livestock selling garden centres and petshops.

jrn1310
View Public Profile
Send a private message to jrn1310
Visit jrn1310's homepage!
Find More Posts by jrn1310
Add jrn1310 to Your Buddy List

Yesterday, 08:28 PM #37
Diane

No. The three rabbits have 2 hutches in a stable. I rotate them three times a day so that they have an opportunuty to "free range" a bit and so that they are used to each others scent - and always had sight of each other. At night, one rabbit gets the run of the stable whilst the other two are housed in their hutches. Every night I rotate which rabbit gets to roam the stable so that it's fair! I have been doing this since their castration (and since I discovered they were boys). I had assumed that trying to integrate them within the stable would be the best option as this was an area that they all had access to at some time during the day. Have I got it wrong - any advice VERY gratefully received

No. The three rabbits have 2 hutches in a stable. I rotate them three times a day so that they have an opportunuty to "free range" a bit and so that they are used to each others scent - and always had sight of each other. At night, one rabbit gets the run of the stable whilst the other two are housed in their hutches. Every night I rotate which rabbit gets to roam the stable so that it's fair! I have been doing this since their castration (and since I discovered they were boys). I had assumed that trying to integrate them within the stable would be the best option as this was an area that they all had access to at some time during the day. Have I got it wrong - any advice VERY gratefully received

You say that your rabbits are living in one space which they ALL use at one time or another but at separate times. This is fine when they are kept apart.

If when you physically put them together they are in this same area, this space is non neutral territory and is totally not suitable for use as a pairing up area.

Space used for pairing up MUST be space where neither have been alone unless you want them to defend their own territory and therfore fight. This totally neutral territory can be used again for these rabbits but only if they are together.

Your stable space can be used again for them all together if you can manage to pair them up, however it must be totally neutralised of all of their smells. If this is not done you will have dominance battles.

agreed - you must TRY (and it might not work even so) bonding in a neutral area where none have been before, like your bathroom, and wear gloves so your scent doesn't get on them - it's likely they will be bonded to you and may try and defend you from the others too.

Hi

I can sympathise with you totally. My 2 male bunnies just would not get on no matter what I did - despite them both being neutered. We tried all of the neutral territory thing but to no avail.

After a year and several attempts resigned myself to 2 separate cages and 2 girlfriends (both spayed).

My boys are now totally different (after only a week!)

They are happy and calm and will let me fuss them.

I didn't really plan on 4 rabbits but hey - if they are happy that is what matters and I would have been cleaning out 2 cages anyway.

Good luck if you do try again (you would be a braver person than me!)

Jo
& Sooty, Syrup, Sweep & Sugar! - photos coming soon!

Thanks for all the advice.

Just some points to clarify - if, for example, I use my bathroom or other completely neutral area, do I introduce all three rabbits at the same time?

How many times should I try and at what point do you think "enoughs enough" and accept that they may never get on. I really don't want them to have any more physical injuries.

Is it cruel to keep the rabbits accomodated as I do - the cages are located so that they can see each other (and therefore smell each other also). Additionally, the rabbit that free roams can and does go up to the other cages - sometimes they will try and nip each others noses through the wire bars. Do you think that this arrangement is stressful for the rabbits.

Sorry to go on - I just want what's best for them:?

Back