• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I've got a new bun and he's Vicious!! HELP!

kerina

Warren Scout
Good morning everyone!

It's Speedy's mum here (you may have read, last week Speedy went to Rainbow Bridge, leaving a lonely Blackeye behind).

Blackeye has been pining for Speedy, so yesterday I went down to our local rescue centre (Redgate Animal Sanctuary) and got Smokey. I chose Smokey because he was the smallest rabbit they had (he's a Netherland Dwarf) and I thought he would be the most comfortable in Speedy's old hutch.

They did tell me that he could be a bit nasty, however he seemed fine with me - I picked him up, cuddled him - all fine.

I got him home, installed him in his new hutch with built in run and he was loving it - running around - up and down his ramp - great, thinks I.

I went out last night to feed him, and he growled at me - I have never heard a rabbit growl before - it's really odd. I fed him a small piece of carrot and some Suparabbit Excel and left him to it.

I went back out to him a little later to check that he was eating and he growled at me again. I stroked him even though he was growling to show him that I wasn't scared of him.

Next thing I new, he jumped up and bit me on the hand - he drew blood. I was really shocked!! I left him alone after that.

I've been out to clean him out this morning and he was growling again - I'm now frightened of him! I got the gardening gloves to lift him out of the hutch and put him in the washing basked whilst I cleaned him out. He didn't growl again, and I picked him up out of the washing basket with bare hands to put him back in his hutch.

Has anyone encountered this type of behaviour before?? I understand that he is probably frightened and is defending himself, but any tips to stamp out this nastly streak would be greatly appreciated.

Also, Blackeye is still pining for Speedy, even though they are side by side. He only ate his carrot last night and hasn't touched his cabbage.

Please help me guys, I just want my buns to be happy.

Kerina
xxx

:wave:

Ive never had a bun like that, but Im guessing just sitting in the run with him and letting him get used to you like you would with any other bun would help? He may just need a little time to settle in :D

Im guessing he is neutered if he came from a rescue? Is he very close to Blackeye? Like are their hutches right next to each other?

Chloaster will probably be able to give you some advice, I think she's calmed a few supposedly vicious buns down.

He could be frightened, which is usually what causes an attack - sort of get it in first. From something I saw on tv animals have a nerve which runs along their ear and if you stroke the ear right from the base to the top it should relax them. Also sitting with him, and showing him that he's loved - and that you're the boss. When mine was attacking I used to hold him down with my palm on his head and let go after a few seconds.

Thanks for quick replies.

Yes he is neutered and his run is alongside Blackeye's run with about a 1 foot gap between them (for me to get down between them to clean them out).

Blackeye has hardly been in his run for a whole day now - I think he is aware that someone new has arrived, but he's just not interested in him - maybe he's now sulking because there is a new bun on the block who is not his beloved Speedy. Fingers crossed that he comes out of his depression.

I'm just at a loss as to what to do with Smokey as I have never encountered a scarily vicious bun before. As he is an outside bun, I could try bringing him into the kitchen and sitting on the floor with him (I think I'd get piles if I sat outside with him at this time of year!!). But I've got to get over my fear of picking him up first. It's the growl - it's just unbelievable. Once you've got him, he's absolutely fine.

Hopefully, as you say chloaster will have some helpful hints for mastering the vicious bun!!

Kerina

Erm.....its possible the proximity of another male rabbit isn't helping matters if he is already exceptionally territorial...

Were you planning on bonding them...

Hi:wave:

I think your new bun is probably scared and unsettled with his new surroundings and probably just needs some time to settle down. If you are able to being him into the house, maybe in the kitchen and sit on the floor and let him hop about and get used to you, this may help in settling him in.

I have a boy bun whos very territorial and has often bitten me and growls if I try to pick him up and stroke him in areas that he considers are "his", the hutch or certain places in the house he likes to sit. Generally he is a very loving bunny and loves cuddles and attention and I put his behaviour down to him just doing what comes natural to him as a rabbit. I dont try to change him, I just try not to pick him up in places I know he considers to be his. This also may be a reason why your bunny is behaving like he is.

Good luck. Im sure your new bunny will realise he's in a loving home and settle down soon

my experience with my new little nethie was that she was pretty scared for the first three of four days and would box/grunt a bit (although never bite). I found the best way to get to know her was by sitting in her run with her, hand feeding etc.

Thanks for your advice.

I wasn't planning on bonding Blackeye and Smokey. However, both are neutered so surely there shouldn't be too much problem there. Also, Speedy was an un-neutered male and although they were kept seperately at all times, Blackeye and Speedy were fine together.

I think I'm going to try sitting with Smokey in the kitchen for 20 minutes tonight and see if he mellows any.

Also, would it be worth me trying to bribe him with treats? I was thinking that way he would associate me opening his hutch with something nice? Then I could try to move on the stroking him and eventually picking him up? As I say, once you've picked him up and taken him out of his territory, he is fine. I just need to get him to trust me in his hutch or it's going to make feeding and cleaning him out a nightmare. What is the point of me having him if he is just going to be left alone all the time because i'm scared of him - that's no fun for me or him.

Kerina

Thanks for your advice.

I wasn't planning on bonding Blackeye and Smokey. However, both are neutered so surely there shouldn't be too much problem there. Also, Speedy was an un-neutered male and although they were kept seperately at all times, Blackeye and Speedy were fine together.

I think I'm going to try sitting with Smokey in the kitchen for 20 minutes tonight and see if he mellows any.

Also, would it be worth me trying to bribe him with treats? I was thinking that way he would associate me opening his hutch with something nice? Then I could try to move on the stroking him and eventually picking him up? As I say, once you've picked him up and taken him out of his territory, he is fine. I just need to get him to trust me in his hutch or it's going to make feeding and cleaning him out a nightmare. What is the point of me having him if he is just going to be left alone all the time because i'm scared of him - that's no fun for me or him.

Kerina

It might be because they are so close :D Even though they are neutered that could be whats casuing the aggression? My two boys are neutered but they both go crazy if one goes down the others half of the garden, a few times Beau has gotten out of the run when I have opened the door and if Trip is in his run Beau goes straight over and they are grunting showing aggressive behaviour for ages after I put Beau away x

Im sorry but two unrelated adult males, neutered or not, is not an easy pairing.

The fact that the new bunny is territorially aggressive despite being neutered does also not bode well for a potential bonding and it could be the other males presence making him worse.

Persevere with him and handle him a lot but on his terms. Also was your hands after handling your other male rabbit before handling the new one...the male smell may make him more aggressive towards you.

Im probably going to get shot for this, but I would take the new bunny back to the rescue. I would then find a rescue who offers a bonding service and I would bond my male bunny with a female. If he is grieving, to have another bunny in an adjacent hutch isn't going to help him. I think the less stress you place on your grieving bunny, the better, and two unrelated male bunnies are difficult to bond. This poor rescue bunny also would probably benefit from being bonded with a suitable female and having companionship.

Im probably going to get shot for this, but I would take the new bunny back to the rescue. I would then find a rescue who offers a bonding service and I would bond my male bunny with a female. If he is grieving, to have another bunny in an adjacent hutch isn't going to help him. I think the less stress you place on your grieving bunny, the better, and two unrelated male bunnies are difficult to bond. This poor rescue bunny also would probably benefit from being bonded with a suitable female and having companionship.

Actually I have to say I agree, I think it would be better for all parties involved...

I think he'll be fine once he realises you are a nice person and not about to eat him for dinner - just be patient and take precautions like wearing long sleeves and gloves when feeding - even my nice bunnies sometimes bite if I don't feed them quickly enough, so I always wear gloves and use 2 bowls to swap round - and clean out when they are having a run incase they object to me being in their hutch.

Im sorry but two unrelated adult males, neutered or not, is not an easy pairing.

The fact that the new bunny is territorially aggressive despite being neutered does also not bode well for a potential bonding and it could be the other males presence making him worse.

Persevere with him and handle him a lot but on his terms. Also was your hands after handling your other male rabbit before handling the new one...the male smell may make him more aggressive towards you.

ah yes - didn't notice they were both boys - recipie for disaster bonding, even if he does calm down with you :(

Phew, thanks for all this mass of advice :shock:

Just to make it clear, I am not and never have been planning on bonding these two. Blackeye has always been a solitary bunny and was never bonded with Speedy. They just used to sniff each other through the bars of the run (one would be out in the garden, the other in their run).

As for taking Smokey back to get a female to bond with Blackeye, I don't have a hutch big enough for two rabbits, certainly not when Blackeye is quite large and more than fills his current hutch/run combo. I merely got Smokey because nobody wanted him, he's been at the rescue centre for months and I just wanted another bunny for blackeye to have someone to sniff with through the bars of the run.

As at approxmately this time (2pm Monday) Smokey has only been with me for 24 hours now, I think that I want to give him a bit more of a chance and all I was asking for was tips on how to handle his mood so as I can feed him and clean him out with minimum distress to him and me, but unfortunately my post has gone onto a bonding discussion :?

Can I at least give Smokey until the weekend and see how he settles down? As scared of him as I am, I feel that the poor little fellow needs to be given a break!!????

Kerina

P.S. In the meantime, any tips on keeping him happy would be greatly appreciated.

If you are not planning on bonding them `i think he would settle from being out of sight and smell off your other male, and as i said before wash your hands before handling him to remove your other rabbits smell...which may present you as a threat to him.

Sorry Kerina, I think it was this part of your post that put us on the wrong track there:) : "Blackeye has been pining for Speedy, so yesterday I went down to our local rescue centre (Redgate Animal Sanctuary) and got Smokey.". Anyway, I would put more of a distance between the hutches for the time being and just continue what you are doing already..i.e. slow and gentle handling. When I first got my pair, Floss was was very nervous and territorial, and would grunt, lunge and even nip if given the chance. I suggest you do no handling for several days, and when you have to go to his hutch always make sure you have a treat ready..(bribery and corruption often works!) and then take it slowly at the pace of the rabbit. Good luck and take some photos :D ..we all love photos!!!

Okay Capel and Sooz22, thanks for this. Although my patio isn't the biggest in the world, I'll try to put a bit of distance between them.

I have been told that nethies are often a bit "grumpy", but as this is my first one, can't comment on that!

I will take some piccies at the weekend (when it's light!) and post them next week. He really is such a cutie.

Blackeye is normally a very nosy bunny so maybe he will come round in the end.

However, I think as suggested by Capel, I will leave Smokey for a few days and will go armed with carrot in hand when I'm cleaning out/feeding!

I'll keep you all posted, you're all so helpful! But any other advice will be greatly received!

I have been told nethies although small are big on attitude but my experience has been anything but that a little patience and love goes a long way! My old bun smintie was so calm at vet visits they were shocked how well behaved he was since he was also unneueterd! Have patience and time I'm sure will help:D

Back