• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Omg Louis Just Ate A Load Of Elastic! - UPDATE: He's in Surgery :(

Grace and Louis

Warren Scout
I was on the computer and Louis was bouncing around as usual, I looked up to see what he was doing and he had pulled a book off of the shelf and it had elastic sort of stuff that had metalic stuff wrapped around it to make it look silver. Well he had eaten about 12cm of the stuff!!!

I phoned the PDSA, who look after 2 of the cats and Grace and I am so :censored: angry with the woman on the phone but I wont go into that now.

As a result I had to call Louis vets and the company that do the out of hours for them will charge £80 out of hours fee + treatment costs. I asked if he needed to come in or if I should wait till morning and she said they couldnt tell without looking at him; well that is :censored: helpful!!!

She said I could take him now or wait and take him but it was my choice which. I have NO money so I dont even have the fees but my boyfriend said he will pay it if we need to.

Now I dont know what to do. I know he chewed the elastic up but I cant know how small he chewed it. He seems fine at the moment but how long do I wait to find out if it is going to do any harm?

WHY DO THESE THINGS ALWAYS HAPPEN WHEN EVERYONE IS IN BED!!!! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Im going to stay up with him all night, God Im exhausted and was about to go to sleep! - PLEASE if anyone is awake and can help at all post I am REALLY freaking out and I dont know what to do!!!!

At the moment I am going to watch him and anything that bothers me about him he is straight to the vets!

Last edited:
I would clean his litter box and keep an eye on him. Give him some yummy greens to keep his insides going. Do you happen to have any 100% pure canned pumpkin and some pineapple juice?

Chances are the vet is going to tell you to wait to see if he passes it on his own.

I cant find canned pumpkin anywhere but he doesnt like the fresh stuff anyway.

I have carrots, broccoli, colliflower and apple - should I make him a salad?

I dont have any pineapple juice in, only squash - cordial stuff you add water to

Hiya,

Unlike cats and dogs most of the time rabbits chew things into nice small easy to pass pieces before swallowing them :)

Cleaning out his litter tray is an excellent idea :thumb: then you can monitor whether his pooping and if anything comes through.

If he stops eating, huddles up and is reluctant to move, grids his teeth or generally doesn't seem right then you do need to go asap to the vet.

Other than I'm sure he'll enjoy having your company for the night, it's probably great fun as far as he's concerned :roll:

Tamsin

Thanks Tasmin I feel a bit better now!! - I feel somewhat better - Im going to clean his cage out in a moment, although at the moment he is happy to bounce around the room and poo everywhere he goes :roll:

Mine don't like fresh pumpkin either. But the vet recommended I give them canned pumpkin (it works as a laxative for them) and some pineapple juice (which is supposed to help break up blockages- dunno if it's true) plus the pineapple makes the pumpkin taste sweet. This trick works great for shedding seasons. But I give it weekly.

I would probably do whatever you have to do to get him to eat some fiber to 'push' it through.

Pineapple DOES work....but according to my vet, it has to be fresh pineapple instead of pineapple juice, as when pineapple juice is pasturised before being canned/bottled the process kills off the thing in the pineapple juice that makes it work!:roll:

I totally agree with what has been said.....buns don't tend to swallow large chunks of stuff like a dog will.....they grind it up pretty well, so however much he ate is most likely to pass through of it's own accord. But as Tamsin said, if he starts showing any signs of pain and discomfort, it's vet time. Chances are he will be right as rain, and will just consider himself very lucky that he had your company for the night!!!;) :D

Thanks!!

I just gave him a large carrot to munch his way through - he is VERY happy with that and has an orange mouth LOL - its hard to do much as it is nearly 3am

He has also tried to eat a bathroom mat :roll:

So would your advice be to not take him to the vets in the morning if he seems ok? and how long till I know he is ok ok?

If he seems happy and bright, has a good appetite, is showing no signs of pain, and continues to poo normally, I personally would just watch him. I would have thought that within 48 hours whatever he did eat would have passed through if his system is still functioning normally. However, if he suddenly stops pooing or seems listless, bloated, depressed , or starts grinding his teeth I would get him into the vet ASAP.

It is REALLY late, as you can see from my post time, and I have been up with Louis all night so far. I am exhausted! - Louis is eating plenty and drinking. He has a clean cage and although he has yet to poo in it he pooed so much everywhere else in the living room he may not have anything left for a time LOL

I have given him a tiny amount of pellets to make him eat more hay.

At the moment he is his usual happy go lucky bunny self and so I am concluding that if he were in imediate danger he would be having problems by now so if the stuff is going to cause him a problem it probably wont do till later. SO I am going to sleep for an hour and then check on him and then sleep for another hour etc and then call the vet at 9 for advise on whether she wants to see him

Glad he seems ok :) They do eat such weird things don't they?! Bailey ate a huge chunk of a rubber zip last week :shock: I was really worried, but it passed through fine and he seemed to enjoy it :shock: :lol:

The news on Louis isnt great :cry:

He hasnt pooed since at least 4am and so at 1pm I had to rush him to the vets as an emergancy paitent. My vet is SO lovely with him and she only saw him last week so at least he wasnt in completely strange surroundings with strange people.

She felt his bowels and he had a small collection of stools there so she thinks he has a blockage for sure and she is not only concerned about that but also the associated problems with rabbits not pooing for a period of time.

He is going to be having an x ray followed by surgury to remove the blockage and drugs to stimulate his gut.

I am SOOOOOOOOOOO worried about him, he's only 6 months old and so lovely - please cross your fingers and say a prayer for him :cry: :cry: :cry:

Back