• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

rabbit at pets at home U/D have now got him

sally1974

Wise Old Thumper
Didn't want to takeover Jocelyn's thread, below:lol: Me and my daughter went to p@h to get some hay and there is a little rabbit in the adoption section, she has been in their for about 3 weeks, she looks so fed up and sad, she is very small, she did have her sister with her originally but she has been rehomed, they were a accidental litter and the lady didn't want them.I cant stand to see her just sat in the glass box any longer, so I am going back in their tomorrow to adopt her, I know alot of people are against p@h but this isn't one im just buying from their "stock" she needs a home and I want to give her one.my daughter said she wants to put some of her birthday money toward a hutch for her(completely her idea) and take on the responsibility of looking after her. Obviously I will be their to help, with everything and pay for all the cost of keeping her, and vets and so on as well as my own rabbits. My kids are not like most kids as in they get fed up of animals they have always helped me since they were little and love it. My son is so passionate about animals I swear he will have something to do with animal welfare when he is older. Anyway, I thought I would let you know. My other question is I have a doe who is 12 weeks old and by herself at the moment, when she is old enough I was going to have her spayed and intended to put her in with my male Polo, do you think I should try to bond the two does because they are still young? Or stick to the original plan of putting my original doe with polo once she has been spayed? He is quite happy by himself although I will be getting him a friend for sure does it make more sense to try to bond the does? Sorry for the huge post any input greatly received:D
Sallyx

Last edited:
I can't help with your bonding question, but just wanted to say that it's lovely that you're giving the sad little bun a home :D
Don't forget to post pictures the minute you get her home!

not sure about the bonding either, someone with great experience will be on soon im sure. i know what you mean about the P@H adoption bunny's. for some reason they get less room than the others aswell..i can't go in there anymore as i leave feeling so sad. it's really good that you are giving her a loving home:)

awwww well done you - wow everyone's being so heroic rescuing animals this weekend :p

I'm sure new bunny would love to pal up with your existing girl - would need to be neutral territory though, and try not to handle them while they are sorting it out - your existing bunny might want to see an 'intruder' away from her owner, as well as her territory.

ooooh but make sure new bunny is in fact female - we know how good pet shops are at sexing rabbits :shock:

From what I understand, at least one of the does will be spayed at some point in the future, or will need to be? So, if you bonded now you'd possibly have to rebond after spaying... You can bond a boy/girl, or two girls though. ^^ I've always understood it that a neutered male and spayed female are the easiest - in theory - to bond, then two spayed does and then two neutered male. That's in order of supposed ease.

You could be ambitious and try and bond as a trio, after the girlies are spayed? That works too.

Thanks everyone :D I just couldn't leave her there any longer. I am really nervous about trying to bond the two females, I have never had two does together, I will get them both spayed as soon as the vet will do them. Im hoping that because they are both still young they will accept each other.I hope someone with experience with bonding does sees this post and can help:D I have heard some scary stories about what two does can do to each other, however I know sometimes it works brilliantly. If not I will stick to my original plan and eventually get a husban for my new one. Thanks again everyone. I will post pics as soon as we get her:D
Sallyx

have now got the rabbit, turns out she is in fact a he, my fault for not reading properly. He is 9 weeks old and has been their for 3 weeks, which tells me he was only 6 weeks when he was taken there:cry: he is really friendly and very nosey:lol: . I am so pleased we got him the glass tank he was in was much to small. Anyway will post some piccies later when he settles in.
Sallyx

Well done Sally. What a lucky bunny!

Theres one in my local p@h that i want to get out of there but oh is having none of it :(

aww, I couldn't leave Asbeau in teh adoption section, he was lookign at me with his massive brown eyes and his tank was being hit by little kids, I couldn't leave him there :( If he is a boy, once he is neutered he'll probably get on with your current doe :)

awwwww well done sally for rehoming the little fella!.

Dont forget that females can get pregnant from quite an early age, so prob be better to get them done before your try bonding them.

ooo and dont forget the piccies!!!

xxx

I think I have this right... You have 2 does... Now a male too. I would get them all neutered, then bond the male to one of the females. Definitely the easiest compo. You could then maybe try a trio or get the other doe another boyfriend? ;)

Well done on rescuing the little one. He was obviously "waiting" for you :D :lol:

Photos please! :D :D :D

I think I have this right... You have 2 does... Now a male too. I would get them all neutered, then bond the male to one of the females. Definitely the easiest compo. You could then maybe try a trio or get the other doe another boyfriend? ;)

Well done on rescuing the little one. He was obviously "waiting" for you :D :lol:

Photos please! :D :D :D

she turned out to be a he:lol: :lol: so now I am going to stick to my original plan of bonding my other doe with a buck I already have, and when the new fella is old enough and neutered I will find him a wifey:D :D
Sallyx

Back