• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I went to P@H...U/D

Jocelyn

Mama Doe
And have come back with a rabbit. I *did not* buy him. Basically I went there to pick up some bits for the chinchillas I am picking up tomorrow, as the local pet shops are limited in what they have.

I was minding my own business when I heard some shouting.. me being the nosy parker that I was I listened in.. basically this woman wanted P@H to take her bunny, but they didn't have room. They tried to give her the number of the rescue that they're in 'alliance' with but she was insistent that bunny must go NOW. To cut a long story short, I offered to take bunny and take care of him and rehome him because I was scared of what this woman would do to him otherwise.

He is approximately a year old chinchilla coloured dwarf lop - not neutered or vaccinated. He is VERY sweet. His feet are pretty urine stained but his teeth *seem* okay [I can only check his front teeth].

I'm not sure what to do with him. I've set up a cage in my room with a section penned off but it's a bit ridiculous. My boy Shadow is displaying referred agression toward Kitten and he's chasing her around and ripping her fur out.

I'm quite concerned now as a few times the boy I've bought back with me has been coughing.. at least I think it's coughing, I'm not sure :?

I feel a bit stressed out now as I didn't really think very far ahead. I can't keep him realistically :S well, unless I can bond him to my other 2 but what are the chances of bonding a boy to an existing couple?

Really worried.. Shadow won't leave poor Kitten alone :cry: Have I done the wrong thing :(

And have come back with a rabbit. I *did not* buy him. Basically I went there to pick up some bits for the chinchillas I am picking up tomorrow, as the local pet shops are limited in what they have.

I was minding my own business when I heard some shouting.. me being the nosy parker that I was I listened in.. basically this woman wanted P@H to take her bunny, but they didn't have room. They tried to give her the number of the rescue that they're in 'alliance' with but she was insistent that bunny must go NOW. To cut a long story short, I offered to take bunny and take care of him and rehome him because I was scared of what this woman would do to him otherwise.

He is approximately a year old chinchilla coloured dwarf lop - not neutered or vaccinated. He is VERY sweet. His feet are pretty urine stained but his teeth *seem* okay [I can only check his front teeth].

I'm not sure what to do with him. I've set up a cage in my room with a section penned off but it's a bit ridiculous. My boy Shadow is displaying referred agression toward Kitten and he's chasing her around and ripping her fur out.

I'm quite concerned now as a few times the boy I've bought back with me has been coughing.. at least I think it's coughing, I'm not sure :?

I feel a bit stressed out now as I didn't really think very far ahead. I can't keep him realistically :S well, unless I can bond him to my other 2 but what are the chances of bonding a boy to an existing couple?

Really worried.. Shadow won't leave poor Kitten alone :cry: Have I done the wrong thing :(

I would move new Bun out of sight and smell of your two. Refered aggression can escalate into a really nasty fight :cry: Also, as you say new Bun is 'coughing' quarantining is advisable. I'd get him to a Vet tomorrow for a full health check and to discuss neutering and vaccinating. Then when he is ready you could put him on RR or attempt to bond him with your two.

Good Luck

Janex

Is there anyway to keep him well away from the other 2? If hes coughing, its probably for the best. You should also try and get a vet to check him over on monday.
I think you definetly did the right thing, I would have done the exact same! The silly woman, what a :censored: !:evil: :evil: :evil: I'm sure someone on here can suggest a good rescue or offer to foster him. Good luck with him!:)

I would move new Bun out of sight and smell of your two. Refered aggression can escalate into a really nasty fight :cry: Also, as you say new Bun is 'coughing' quarantining is advisable. I'd get him to a Vet tomorrow for a full health check and to discuss neutering and vaccinating. Then when he is ready you could put him on RR or attempt to bond him with your two.

Good Luck

Janex

Thanks, I haven't anywhere else to put him but in the same room. I'm in the process of attaching some boaard to the pen so Shadow can't see him. I'm so worried and I feel so stupid now for putting my buns in danger cos he's coughing quite a lot on and off. I checked him before I took him home and couldn't hear anything wrong :cry: I will get him to the vet tomorrow :( God I hope I did the right thing.

Def agree to put the newbie in a other part of the house and take ot the vets tomoz for check over. Suppose you dont know abotu vaccations he's had etc...?

Charlie attempts to lunge at me and at little Molly sometims if visitors (people) are in the room (not always tho) and when he smells my newbies on me, so I just shout 'no' when I see him starting. I also give him a lot of attention and treats to divert (fav greens etc) so he knows he's nto being pushed out. works wonders, tho he does sulk for ages! :? He gets over it tho :D

Can't you even put him somewhere like a bathroom? I don't mean to alarm you but someone else on here took in a bun a couple of years ago in similar circumstances and the referred aggression between her two buns got very serious and one injured the other quite badly. They had to be separated for a while and it was pretty touch and go that they would ever re-bond. I'm not sure that putting barriers in will be enough; your buns will still be able to smell an unneutered male in the vicinity. If there really isn't a little corner to put him in for now, is there anyone else who can look after him for you for a while until you work out what to do with him long term?

It definitely sounds as if his owner might well have just dumped him if you hadn't have taken him though.

No he's not vaccinated [the woman looked at me funny when I asked her if he was neutered or vaccinated].

I can't put him in another part of the house.

I've shut Kitten in the dog crate for now.

Oh what have I done :(

Can't you even put him somewhere like a bathroom? I don't mean to alarm you but someone else on here took in a bun a couple of years ago in similar circumstances and the referred aggression between her two buns got very serious and one injured the other quite badly. They had to be separated for a while and it was pretty touch and go that they would ever re-bond. I'm not sure that putting barriers in will be enough; your buns will still be able to smell an unneutered male in the vicinity. If there really isn't a little corner to put him in for now, is there anyone else who can look after him for you for a while until you work out what to do with him long term?

It definitely sounds as if his owner might well have just dumped him if you hadn't have taken him though.

Nope. I can't have my pets anywhere but in here.

The woman was threatening to let him go in the shop :evil:

Next time I'm in this situation I'll just have to let them then I guess because I'm clearly not cut out for this and clearly don't know enough about rabbits to even keep my own two safe. *sigh* I hate myself and my stupid impulsive behaviour. I was just trying to help.

awww don't beat yourself up over an act of kindness - shame there's not more people like you in the world :p Haven't you got a bathroom he can go in?

I was going to suggest putting him in the bathroom too - now i'm stumped.Do you know anyone who could take him in for a few days until you know what you're going to do?
By the way, i know it might not feel like it now, but you did the right thing :D

Nope. I can't have my pets anywhere but in here.

The woman was threatening to let him go in the shop :evil:

Next time I'm in this situation I'll just have to let them then I guess because I'm clearly not cut out for this and clearly don't know enough about rabbits to even keep my own two safe. *sigh* I hate myself and my stupid impulsive behaviour. I was just trying to help.

Is there no way you can put him in the bathroom just for tonight so you can have a think?

I think you have done the right thing hun, at least he is safe with you for now. Maybe someone on here could help? I wish I could but im just not close enough or I would :( x

I can't, I'm staying at my Dad's which is a strain as it is - he certainly wouldn't approve of having a rabbit in the bathroom :(

Kitten is shut in the dog crate now until I stop crying and calm down.

Mr Bunny is flopped out in his cage completely unaware of the trouble he's caused. He's such a sweet bunny, he's already demanded lots of nose rubs. I don't understand. He doesn't seem neglected and he seems really friendly.. how could you threaten to dump him if he's so tame and been cared for? :(

I can't, I'm staying at my Dad's which is a strain as it is - he certainly wouldn't approve of having a rabbit in the bathroom :(

Kitten is shut in the dog crate now until I stop crying and calm down.

Mr Bunny is flopped out in his cage completely unaware of the trouble he's caused. He's such a sweet bunny, he's already demanded lots of nose rubs. I don't understand. He doesn't seem neglected and he seems really friendly.. how could you threaten to dump him if he's so tame and been cared for? :(

Aww hun, do you have anyone who could possibly keep this bunny at theirs just until you sort something out? Maybe a friend or another family member? Obviously I dont know your dad but is it worth even asking if you can keep this bun in another room just for tonight?

I'm actually beginning to think he may have tooth problems. He's munching on hay right now but one of his eyes has just watered a bit [no gunk, it's clear] and his has a tiny patch of drool on his chin. Could this be anything else apart from tooth problems? Could this be what's causing the 'coughing' noise?

arh dont feel too bad.i used to be the same but id take every rabbit i saw that needed a home.but htanks to people on here i have now controlled myself.wat an evil woman threated to let him loose.x:censored:

I've got in touch with Caroline [bunnyrun] - well, via March Hare as I don't think she can get on the forums. She has space for this boy at hers so I will be taking him round there on Tuesday. I'm certain he'll have no problems finding a home - he's such a loving boy - he's been binkying around his cage and falling asleep whilst I rub his nose.. wish my 2 hadn't gone so crazy about him being here because I would very much like to have kept him if I could have bonded them :(

Thanks to Ab & Stu for the offer of help :)

I'm actually beginning to think he may have tooth problems. He's munching on hay right now but one of his eyes has just watered a bit [no gunk, it's clear] and his has a tiny patch of drool on his chin. Could this be anything else apart from tooth problems? Could this be what's causing the 'coughing' noise?

Definately! Well Done for taking him XXX

I can't WAIT to meet him......he sounds VERY sweet!!!!!:D :D

The woman that was going to set him loose in P@H sounds like a REAL winner!!!:roll: :evil: :evil:

Back